Way Too Early Pre-Season Rankings for 22-23

Check out who they have at #1! I was shocked. Looks like we may be a trendy pick to win it all next year. I saw us at #2 in another one of these. Already excited about next season!

4 Likes

Wow. I mean. If you look at the top 10-15 teams on KenPom.

Alot of those teams are losing a ton of talent off their teams. Guys turning pro.

Except Houston :crossed_fingers:.

Arkansas, Houston, Gonzaga would be the safe bet as top 3. Cause i think Drew Timme is coming back. His game is still not NBA level

UCLA, depends on what Tyger, Juzang and Jacques are doing

2 Likes

I like it but don’t like it.

7 Likes

Same. I prefer being the plucky underdogs

7 Likes

We’re losing a ton of talent also, our winningest player with final four experience, our best defender with final four experience, our most athletic player, our tallest player with a good post shot. Just need some experience to come here to replace.

Like coach said don’t get caught young

4 Likes

7. Houston

2022 finish: 32-6, NCAA Elite Eight

Overview: Who knows what might have been with the Cougars this season if Marcus Sasser and Tramon Mark had not been injured near midseason? Might they have been in New Orleans this weekend? They did such a fabulous job without those two, but the firepower necessary to get over the hump into the Final Four again wasn’t there. Looks like it will be back, along with freshman stud Jarace Walker, whose physicality should fit right into Kelvin Sampson’s defense-first philosophy.

8 Likes

I’d like to work our way up slowly next year. Where we always have an axe to grind until the end. Maybe start at 7-8 and move up one place per month. Be #2 going into Tourney.

Our days of being the plucky underdog are over for better or worse i think, next years team will start the season in the top 5 then 23-24 is our debut B12 season

6 Likes

I’m so frickin’ excited for the ‘22-‘23 year to begin…really high expectations for football and basketball…great time to be a Coog!

5 Likes

But the media hates us…blah blah blah, we’ll be 15-20 blah blah blah, no way we are top 10 much less top 5 blah , blah, blah.

2 Likes

3. Houston

Houston going to the Elite Eight despite the in-season losses of Marcus Sasser and Tramon Mark is perhaps the most impressive coaching job of Kelvin Sampson’s career. Now, the Cougars should get back Sasser (the team’s best player) and Mark, joining emerging point guard Jamal Shead to form one of the most impressive backcourts in the sport. And while the UH program hasn’t been built on elite recruits, the Cougars add a five-star prospect in the frontcourt in Jarace Walker, who has elite physical tools and could dominate the glass for Sampson’s club.

9 Likes

Yea, I never understood the idea that the national media doesn’t respect us. It’s been mostly good press every time we’ve gone to the tourney.

Last year they dogged on us a little because of our bracket but that’s just our initiation back into the big time. This year it was nothing but wine and roses.

3 Likes

Arkansas may be #1 but guess who’s #2. Waaaay too early ranking.

2. Houston Cougars
Houston came one step short of back-to-back Final Fours, but it’s clear Kelvin Sampson has found something that works and has turned the Cougars into one of the most consistently bankable teams over the past several seasons. Jamal Shead had a terrific NCAA tournament, and Marcus Sasser and Tramon Mark should be back healthy after having their seasons cut short due to injury. Jarace Walker adds some serious talent to Houston’s frontcourt, and I’m of the opinion that fellow incoming freshman Terrance Arceneaux is one of the best pure scorers in the 2022 class. This team will have more scoring options than ever to go with its usual elite defensive and offensive rebounding prowess. Also of potential significance: The 2023 Final Four will be held at Houston’s NRG Stadium.

Projected starting lineup:

Jamal Shead (10.0 PPG)
Marcus Sasser (17.7 PPG)
Tramon Mark (10.1 PPG)
Jarace Walker (No. 9 in ESPN 100)
J’Wan Roberts (3.2 PPG)

7 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1511211657556602882

6 Likes

6. Houston

Key departures: Kyler Edwards, 6-4 Sr.; Taze Moore, 6-5 Sr.; Fabian White Jr., 6-8 Sr.; Josh Carlton, 6-11 Sr.

Key returnees: Jamal Shead, 6-1 Jr.; Marcus Sasser, 6-1 Sr.; Tramon Mark, 6-5 Jr.; Reggie Chaney, 6-8 Sr.; J’Wan Roberts, 6-7 Jr.

Incoming: Jarace Walker, 6-8 Fr.; Terrance Arceneaux, 6-7 Fr.

The Cougars will lose four starters from the team that won 32 games and reached the Elite Eight, but that’s nothing new for this program. Sasser and Mark, who suffered season-ending injuries in December and would have been key components throughout the season, are both likely to return, though Sasser will probably test the draft waters. Kelvin Sampson is adding the program’s highest-ever rated recruit in Walker, a McDonald’s All-American who was ranked No. 9 nationally in the 247Sports Composite, as well as Arceneaux, who was No. 40 in the index.

6 Likes

Im confident we will land a really good 5 through the portal to add to our starting lineup.

Not one mentions Emmanuel as he gets lost in the shuffle because he came in early. In most years he’d be our most heralded recruit

19 Likes

What an amazing potential starting lineup for us, great time to be a coog

3 Likes

I saw a prediction over on the football board, that had us going to the Cotton Bowl. I’ll always have a fondness for the Cotton Bowl: the games, the travel, stopping at the 7-11’s (some to buy, some to rob.)

Wouldn’t it be great to go to a Cotton Bowl and a final four in the same year? Looking back at the halcyon days of the late 70’s early 80’s, I’ll have to admit, there were times I never thought we could get back to those levels.

We appear to be in a renaissance. in the 2020’s, enjoying the ride…

11 Likes

3 Likes