Way Too Early Top 25s

14. Houston Cougars

Previous: 17

I might have underrated Houston a bit during the first few months of the offseason. The Cougars do lose All-American Quentin Grimes and do-it-all guard DeJon Jarreau, in addition to all-league forward Justin Gorham, but they might have upgraded on a couple of those departures. Texas Tech transfer Kyler Edwardsshould be one of the best guards in the AAC after averaging double-figures in each of the last two seasons for the Red Raiders. He shot nearly 42% from 3-point range last season and also dished out around three assists the last two seasons. In Gorham’s place will be Fabian White, who averaged 9.3 points and 5.5 rebounds in 2019-20 before missing most of last season with an ACL injury. Kelvin Sampson also added UConn transfer Josh Carlton to provide interior depth; he’s one of the best offensive rebounders in the country, which fits the Cougars perfectly. The loss of Grimes will hurt, but the Cougars are going to be elite defensively and on the glass, and there will still be enough scoring on the roster.

Projected starting lineup:

Marcus Sasser (13.5 PPG)
Tramon Mark (8.0 PPG)
Kyler Edwards (10.1 PPG at Texas Tech)
Fabian White Jr., (6.3 PPG)
Reggie Chaney (4.6 PPG)

1 Like

I think Reggie Chaney may surprise some folks this year. He really started ramping up toward the end of the season last year. Of course, this year he’ll be competing with Carlton for minutes instead of Gresham, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Chaney average 7/7.

2 Likes

Damn we’re loaded!!!

1 Like

Notables from that ranking

UT @ #5
Baylor @ #9
Oregon @ #11
Bama @ #15
FSU @ #20
Okst @ #22
Virginia @ #25

So 3rd in the state according to these rankings. 3 T-25 games currently on the schedule with a possible Oregon meeting @ the Maui.

2 Likes

Last year was excellent coaching by CKS with a midseason change of Mills leaving and still making the Final Four!

4 Likes

15. Houston Cougars

Previous: 14

Houston’s quest to return to the top of the AAC standings (after finishing second to Wichita State last season) got much more difficult after Memphis’ additions this month, but the Cougars have enough players of their own to stake their claim as league favorite. Kelvin Sampson is 5-1 against the Tigers since Penny Hardaway took over in 2018, with four of those six games being decided by three points or fewer. Both matchups last season went down to the final minute, with Houston’s Tramon Mark hitting a half-court buzzer-beater to win the first meeting and Justin Gorham scoring six points in the final 72 seconds to knock Memphis out of the AAC tournament by two points in the second matchup.

This season will see a contrast in styles between the two teams. We mentioned Memphis’ size earlier, while Houston’s offensive production will primarily come from its perimeter players. Marcus Sasser and Mark return, while Kyler Edwards is known from his time at Texas Tech. Cal State Bakersfield transfer Taze Mooremight be flying under the radar; he was a first-team All-Big West performer and brings size, versatility and outstanding defensive ability.

Projected starting lineup:

Marcus Sasser (13.5 PPG)
Tramon Mark (8.0 PPG)
Kyler Edwards (10.1 PPG at Texas Tech)
Fabian White Jr. (6.3 PPG)
Reggie Chaney (4.6 PPG)

Memphis at 7. Fair enough with all the hype of recent signings. I don’t like rooting for Penny or Memphis but I do like to see 2 top 10 AAC teams going against each other when we play them.

1 Like

Just helps our resume when we beat them!!

1 Like

Memphis 7
Houston 15
Alabama 16

Texas #5 after loosing the Abilene Christian in round 1
ugh!!!

How do they always get the benefit of the doubt?

4 Likes

in this case Beard may be getting the benefit of the doubt.

2 Likes

It’s the transfer portal. They added 5-6 talented transfers. Being top 5 I think is a little too high

2 Likes

He shouldn’t
UT has a track record of hiring promising coaches in both basketball and football only to watch them flame out in epic fashion.

3 Likes

I dont see it much different than Memphis being ranked 7th
they haven’t made the tournament in 8 years lol

1 Like

Somewhere in the archives is the simple refrain I posted when tourney time is here and all the speculation sways back and forth. Just win, baby. And we did, despite the brainiacs on the web and on tv.

1 Like

What separated us last year from most tournament teams was our depth. When the starters went out there was literally no drop off with the second unit. In fact, sometimes the bench players played better than the starters and sparked a run.

I think the success of this years teams will depend on well Taz Moore plays and how fast the freshman Walker adjusts to Div 1 basketball. Walker looked good on film but he’s a true freshman. I’m also curious to see who steps up to replace Gorham as the high energy guy that dives on the floor for loose balls. Then again, I said the same thing to myself after Nate Hinton left for the pros. This is where I trust the coaches. No doubt will be back in the tournament again yes

We had production on the bench but cannot say we were super deep and there wasn’t a drop off. We had a chance to have that type of depth with Mills but he wasn’t ready to go then left.
This team has that depth. If we find a go-to scorer off the ball to go with Sasser this team can be scary great. Looking so forward to seeing Mark and Edwards together. I have no concerns with Sasser.
Our defense off the bench could be sensational. Hoping one or both of Shead and Moore provides a little punch so we can play them together for long stretches.
I even feel good if Armbrester or Walker are forced into early action.

Then there is the deep and veteran front court player lead by future all conference player Fabian White. Exciting times!

3 Likes

Matthew killed us in the final four. But I agree, there was a drop off, especially with mark, Roberts, Tyson, Shead, and powell all seeing their first action at this level. And the Covid year hurt them a lot, the less games, practices, shorter off season, and no scrimmages. A lot of freshman looked worse than usually last year. Now with Carlton and Taze being 5th year guys. Shead, powell, and Roberts all have another year under their belts. Robbie and Walker getting a full off season, games, practices, and scrimmages. Our bench will be full of starting caliber players.

Shead
Taze
Robbie
Roberts
Carlton
Ramon
Francis
Powell

That team might beat temple and USF :joy:

2 Likes

You mean Matthew Mayer, for Baylor?

Yeah, as a stretch four, he is a tough match up

I feel bad for Temple. Tournament contender to now bottom feeder AAC team.