What are you most excited about with UH jumping to the Big 12?

I’m just saying CKS has almost won nattys in the past two seasons in the AAC.

UH @ Allen Fieldhouse… and that we will be able to win!

1 Like

its easier to win a national championship in an inferior conference as long as its a multibid league

seeding plays a significant part of advancing in the tournament, its extremely easy to get great seeding in a weaker league

no one will admit this but if you rewatch the 1st 7-8 games afterr we lost sasser/mark, those are all losses in the big 12, the aac allowed us to still win while we figured everything out…we might not have been in the elite 8 if we were in the big 12 this year

and “players want to play on a bigger stage” is a myth (in regards to being major decison factor)… Gonzaga gets whoever it wants, so did memphis in c-usa …so are we now
player want to go where they can wn and go to the NBA…

Sampson and kellen have tiptoed around this in many interviews, you can tell they actually prefer the aac… does th big 12 help recruiting “not really, kids come to play for houston not a conference”… how big is this and for you to play in the big 12… “i guess im happy for the fans”… what does mean for UH basketball “not much, this makes a bigger difference for football”

wanting hard regular seasons is a fan thing…the staff probably prefers easier path to post season success

2 Likes

The extra money so that we never again have to hear that UH should drop athletics talk coming from faculty and worthless idiots.

5 Likes

Yep. If we make another F4 in 23 or 24 watch the recruiting go crazy lol

1 Like

You might want to put " Finances " into some of your thinking. Not just recruiting, rankings.

Memphis and Gonzaga are the outliers for their respective conferences. The thing WE won’t admit is the fact that those two are bigger stages than we have been for quite some time they both regularly pack out their respective home stadiums. Calling out two programs outside of power conferences that land coveted recruits does not lend credence that it is a myth that players want to play on a bigger stage.

Kansas and Baylor had almost identical records to Houston, and Baylor did not even win their conference tourney. Meanwhile we won both the regular season and conference titles and ended up a 5 seed while they both were number 1’s. The seeding argument is flawed. We have to be flawless to get better seeding, even with the AAC being a “multi-bid league” with two teams making it regularly.

Do you really believe Kelvin Sampson would rather play SMU, Memphis and Tulane over Kansas, Baylor and Texas Tech? Heck, even the bottom feeders of the conference are more exciting than anyone not named Memphis in the AAC. Not to mention the extra money his program will receive with the new media deals. He HAS said that he is worried that we are not committed enough to the program from an administrative standpoint (transportation, etc.) to be able to compete in the Big 12, but that is more to petition more commitment to get on the level of the Kansas and Baylor’s of the world.

I normally agree with your takes, but not sure how you of all people are more excited about being on a bigger stage playing elite talent night in and night out. Let the chips fall where they may with tournament seeding, but we will surely get more room to stumble with a Big 12 schedule.

1 Like

Some good points made. Only issue is now pesik will one up you w/ 5 paragraphs instead of four. So we wait!! :grin::laughing:

1 Like

we got a 5 seed because we weren’t percieved as good…because we lost 2 of our top 3 scorers… the exact same resume with sasser and mark and we are probably a 2or3 seed… cincy, houston have gotten 2 seeds in recent years memphis a 1 seed, Gonzaga is what 4 consecutive 1 seeds

and im not calling it a myth, our staff is calling it a myth… again there are like 6 interviews between kellen and kelvin speaking on this …they are flat asked if this will boost recruiting, the both flat say no. “kids come to play for houston, not a conference”… kellen in different interview notes the last few season competition or conference never even comes up he noted “houston is enough”…
heres the thing we are already going to the big 12, they could have easily coach speak and said “yes, we cant wait” they have no incentive to deny, but yet they are

Do you really believe Kelvin Sampson would rather play SMU, Memphis and Tulane over Kansas, Baylor and Texas Tech? 1000%, with every fiber of my being!!! do you think sampson is a fan? (craving great matchups) sampson has regularly spoken that he think too hard schedule are bad… we have 12 noncon while playing a weak AAC, ands openly notes his ideal is only 3 noteable games outside the MTE…
what desire would sampson have in tougher regualr season games??? let me be clear he doesnt care about smu, memphis or tulane, but prefers moderate schedule…i guarantee at this point in his career , do you think sampson cares at all about regular season games or the easiest path to national championship

no one is denying the finances of the big 12 move… i noted there were pluses and negative…
but the money boost is likely not going to be as big as some thing, our athletic budget is already as big as most p5, we just have an insane subsidy … while there will definitely be an increase, i think the biggest change will be a reduction in the subsidy to a more normal amount

Ok pesik. I disagree w your prev post. But i don’t have time for 20 back n forth posts. Trying to watch Coogs baseball. You never wrong, so why bother. Psshh.

1 Like

Please…. The seats at FC are already too narrow !!

2 Likes

what there to disagree with, i said there would be an increase in money… you are the one who acts lie they are never wrong!!..

1 Like

Plus we are going to get hammered by the officials on the road.
I know we do a little in AAC but we are normally able to overcome except when playing SMU and Memphis.
Our game at WSU wasn’t a picnic.
They are all going to be like that in Big 12

2 Likes

look at your own post history, its heavy on your correcting others on opinion takes… ie. importance of saser, reggies impact, this rivalry team not being good etc… with some snarky comment included

1 Like

Have gotten being singular. CAN we get top 3 seeds? Yes. Do we have to be flawless based on the league we are in? Yes. Memphis got their 1 seeds over 10 years (and 3 coaches) ago.

As far as being a better chance to win a Natty in this league? You have to go back 30 years to the UNLV title to find a non-power league national champ. I just can’t agree with the notion that playing weak competition being better for your chances to win it all.

Of course the coach of the University of Houston is going to say that kids come to play for our team, not our conference?? That has been the basis of his recruiting strategy since he got here.

1. finances
  2. exposure
  3. better competition
    3.1) more buzz around the program
  4. better recruits

Pesik is a legend in his own mind !

1 Like

thats not true, almost everyone else who moves conference brags about the improvement in recruiting …including our football coaches

if i have time ill try and compile the interviews for you, most were candid podcast style interviews. especially the one with kellen, he says he doesn’t think the big 12 move will boost recruiting much because they already get who they want, he notes not a single recruit has asked about who we play or what league we are in the last few years. they do not think it will change recruiting much. a sentiment that has been reiterated by all the staff
https://twitter.com/gocoogs1/status/1436372057567207426

exposure, if you aren’t winning its actually less exposure, #1 in the aac gets more broadcast games than the #7 in the big12, (how many regular season tcu games did you watch),

finances could actually be negative according to Sampson, in the Rothstein interview notes you have to be the richest in your block, houston got a mansion in the aac, but its a tiny spot in the big 12…houston needs to drastically increase donor support according to him

“finances” is a boost, “competition” is fan thing… recruits will be about the same…kstate, wvu. etc. recruits worse than we do…

you wont find 1 interview where Sampson notes this is good for the “basketball” program, ive listened to like 7, almost all the positive go “im happy for the fans”… im about to go out, but ill try to compile the interviews when i get back

5 Likes

and yours :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

With more money we can hire and/or keep the coaches we want. Now that it looks like that part of the playing field is level, the new challenge is competing in the NIL era.