What do you like about college baseball that is different than Pro?

I only watch college baseball when the Coogs play. I should have gone to Omaha in ‘67 because I may never get another chance!
Now MLB is a bit different. Have been going to games since ‘58 with the Buffs and of course the Astros/Colt games since ‘62.
Even when we were bad I loved watching opposing stars!

3 Likes

Yeah if you’re playing LSU and Skenes is on the mound get that first inning run if you can!

1 Like

How the hell did that guy end up at Air Force out of high school? I wonder if he received a NIL deal from LSU boosters while in the portal.

1 Like

Wonder what our baseball NIL looks like?

Coupons for a free junior sized cone at the DQ and two packs of Big League Chew( grape only).

3 Likes

Bill Worrell used to tell the story how he committed to UH after a hot dog and cold drink with Coach Lovett Hill!

1 Like

In the pros my pitcher is a 10. your guy is 9.5. 4 hours later I win. College is joyful just for the number of weird things that can happen and the action.

Wow….that’s deep.

You would probably really like a good little league game….your pitcher is a 2.1 and mines a 1.9….and let me tell you……there are so many crazy, weird things that can happen……whooeee!

I’ll take the Little League and keep the insane amount of $$ to be bored crapless too!

Did a big league player like steal your wife or something? You have an unhealthy dislike for Major League Baseball.

Whatever bud.

I used to go watch an independent league team in Grand Prarie and if a batter hit a HR or a pitcher had a 1-2-3 inning, stadium employees would walk up and down sections with buckets taking donations from fans for that player. Maybe we can do that at UH now that NIL is legal.

Really for a pitcher having a 1-2-3 inning? That’s weak….maybe if k’d the side.

El Paso used to be the AA team for the Brewers and when a player hit a HR the fans would line the stands down the home team dugout and the player himself would walk the fence with his own helmet……if it was a two out shot and the player didn’t have time a teammate would do it for them.

Like you, I wasn’t a fan of the 1-2-3 innings, just mentioned it since that is what they did. HR’s is when I’d give them a buck.

Yeah, I think striking out the side is close….but 1-2-3 is just doing your job….lol

Because it’s college kids and college alumni with a much better vantage point. Next year at TCU or Baylor vs sitting in Globe Life Park. No brainer.

I love both. But college ball lets you yell where everyone in the park knows what you said.

1 Like

An aspect of the college game that I like is that it’s mainly comprised of American kids; a significant part of the best of the game that our American baseball culture produces.

How many thousands of players are there playing college baseball accounting for all levels?

What is “American Baseball Culture “?

For starters it’s the coaching and knowledge base little league through high school/college (and includes the academies, individual coaches, breadth of select/travel teams), the investment in facilities and support of family and community. And then there’s the professional sector. Is there another country that rivals our in total numbers for each. And it all traces back to the antebellum period when “town ball”, the forerunner to baseball, was prevalent throughout the country (even in Texas).

Doubleday as the originator of baseball is a myth.

I’d be curious to see how the Taipei, Japan and South Korea systems compare to the US from first year thru high school. Can those kids not be recruited to US colleges?

The same could be said for Mexico. There’s the language barrier of course, but people in other countries (more so the younger generations) often speak English better than Americans.

St. Mary’s basketball program in California is loaded with Australians. I have no problem with foreign players, but I suppprt colleges and universities giving primacy to American players in the same wsy I feel that UH baseball should recruit local/Texas players over those from St. Louis. Rhode Island, Iowa, etc.