What is ESPN’s offer to an expanded AAC?

I can’t blame Texas for leaving a conference for a much more valuable conference.

I do blame Texas and Oklahoma for alienating two mid-tier programs (Nebraska & A&M) and two market-friendly programs (Missouri & Colorado) with squabbles and self-centeredness. They are a bit part of the reason the rest of the conference is so weak. And now they’re leaving it because the rest of the conference is so weak.

3 Likes

Not that the conference was so weak, I don’t think. ESPN consolidating inventory, which is okay with the SEC, which exists to be the strongest football conference. The ambitions of all parties intersected and made the move possible.

My best guess is $10M/school which constitutes about a 40% increase for AAC schools (getting to double digits is nice psychologically too). I don’t expect that any AAC teams will be kicked out. KU could possibly go to another P5 but it looks increasingly like each of the little 8 schools has no other P5 suitors right now and will be told that they have a chance to accept an AAC offer at $10M/year or they can find their own conference (MWC or CUSA) or go independent. Would TCU or Baylor be beyond this? IDK. Most or all will accept an AAC invite so the new AAC will possibly grow to 19 schools.

In the short term this is a good deal for the existing AAC schools due to pay bump, more quality schools, and one less P5 to compete for a playoff spot. Not to mention that the top 25 caliber teams in this mega AAC will be pushed pretty good by ESPN because the overall AAC brand is more valuable for them so if we stay good in basketball and get good in football again the increased notoriety will be there.

In the long term, the ESPN plan may still be to split the BIG/SEC/ACC/PAC off from rest which would leave the expanded AAC as the top of the lower tier. In the end, until we are desirable enough for a PAC invite we don’t have any ability to influence that potential outcome anyway.

3 Likes

Not to get into a journalism debate and how the internet has ruined or at the very least muddied the profession, but that’s probably a kid writing a blog for peanuts.

There was no journalism in that WVU piece it was the equivalent of one of our posts with a real name on it.

3 Likes

But it just goes to show how these student athletes are pawns and their well-being and post-college support isn’t something executives care about. It’s all about $$$$$$

I’m guessing the little 8 fans are feeling like we did when the SWC hit the rocks.

1 Like

Alex, it’s more than that. In the 1960’s, 1970’s and 1980’s Nebraska was at the near or top of the food chain in college football. Their stature dropped once they got involved with UT in the Big XII.

Colorado, which won a national championship in football in 1990, was also in the pantheon of college football. They left the Big XII to get away from UT.

Missouri was a charter member of what is now the Big XII in 1907. They left the Big XII to get away from UT.

Texas A&M, I don’t even need to go into detail, left the Big XII to get away from UT.

UT is a cancer and has killed (SWC) or is killing (Big XII) every conference it has ever been associated with. I hope the SEC has a good oncologist on staff.

3 Likes

Not only did the writer of the WVU article incorrectly have UCONN as a FB member of the AAC. He left out one of the biggest FB brands that the AAC has. Navy.

We are still in “talkin’ season”.

In the new sec , some teams will start to diminish that we’re once good. UT and OU could diminish more or some other sec teams bc something has to give.

Ooooooh, ESPN getting more pointed in their response:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/big-12-sends-espn-cease-and-desist-letter-as-commissioner-says-network-wants-to-destabilize-conference/ar-AAMFYD5

https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/status/1420828847323365378?s=20

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1420833790037958656

“Apart from a single allegation your letter consists entirely unsubstantiated speculation and legal conclusions” “ we trust this will put the matter to rest”

Translation: you will accept what’s happening and like it.

3 Likes

Bowlsby got caught flat footed and soon to be unemployed.

ESPN ends their letter with a bleak, forbidding sentence.

Translated: we have the right to sue you into the stratosphere and possibly even withhold payments based on potential breach of contract regarding libelous mischaracterizations.

Lolololololol

1 Like

“Dear Bob” hahahahahahaha

No formalities. Basically saying, we know you well and this is nothing new to you.

1 Like

Analysis from an Iowa St fan regarding Bowlsby’s intent and what may play out over the next several months (or possibly years). The writer seems to believe that Bowlsby has the evidence to make the B12’s claim against ESPN, which could be difficult to prove. My hunch is that this is all angling and posturing for an out of court settlement that allows everyone to walk away with a little more money and slightly less dignity.

My question is: is there any wording in the current b12/ESPN contract that voids the contract if either party slanders the other?

Florida States President before he retired:

https://twitter.com/CurtMWeiler/status/1420836528863993858?s=20

1 Like

You’re reading too much into this. That’s not “you’re about to get sued,” it’s “this letter isn’t a legal agreement.”

“ESPN retains all rights and remedies in connection with this matter.” implies a Hell of a lot more than that.

That is an all-encompassing warning.