What would it take- UH to B1G

He said that with ND in mind.

Don’t anticipate other exceptions.

2 Likes

Well…he threw out the ‘contiguous state’ rule by adding two schools in California.

A school in Texas would not be that crazy

Yes but a school in Texas would have to be a powerhouse in football, being non-AAU, to catch the eye of the B1G.

I’m with you. The only thing I see attractive about the B10 is the money. Lived in Michigan for couple years and went to a few UM games, it was heck of atmosphere. Seriously, do you really want to go to Ann Arbor or Lansing in November/December ?

UCLA is far from a powerhouse in football…same with Maryland…same with Rutgers.

That is 3 out of their last 4 adds.

Do you want to go to Iowa or Kansas or West Virginia n November/December because we have that in the Big 12?

I was born in State College. Went to some great Penn State games. I still don’t think Penn State belongs in the Big 10. USC and UCLA sure as heck don’t belong in the Big 10.

Yes but those schools are AAU. If the B1G is interested in non-AAU schools, they better have an awesome football brand like Notre Dame. There are no more out there.

I agree ucla hasn’t done much in football nor usc lately.

In which other conference do you imagine Penn State belongs if not the B1G?

What better conference is there for a state flagship, AAU member, and long-time football powerhouse located within relatively close geographic proximity to many other B1G schools?

Yet one is a football blue blood, the other a basketball blue blood, both are AAU, and they effectively monopolize the nation’s second largest market.

No brainer for the B1G.

Penn State could have been like Notre Dame. Stayed independent in football and left other sports in the A-10. That’s how it was for 50 years. I understand why they moved, it’s just that they don’t fit in with those schools. They belong with Pitt, Maryland, Syracuse, Boston College, West Virginia, geographically. They’ve been in the Big 10 forever and really don’t have a rivalry with anyone in football. Of course they’re cashing checks…I get it.

Well, then stay tuned.

Because they’re already in a conference with Maryland, and perhaps Pitt will join the B1G as well once the ACC gets raided in 2036 (or sooner).

Not really but since the dipsticks that be are hellbent on ruining CFB…I’ll take Kansas 10 times out of 10 vs Michigan as far as visiting in winter. A strong B12 is the perfect place for UH IMO but I understand the financial ramifications in todays CFB.

You might want to add tons of alums who don’t care about the University and never will. Heck our students aren’t exactly loyal to UH so what are they gonna do when they graduate or leave school?

1 Like

Corrrct amundo Butch. Let’s see i have a Brother & sister older than me that are UH Grads n pay no attn to UH Athletics. Have at least 3 nephews n nieces-- UH Grads n Zero of them attend gms. Then myself SHSU 83 Grad been as loyal UH T-Shirt fan whatever u want to call me ( i don’t give rats arse :smile:) as they come since the late 60s. Some thgs you can’t figure out!! :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Part of it is where they settle after graduating - if they move to far burbs UH isn’t stressed out there the kids will take on what’s popular out there or that same parent won’t push UH

Then you have the person where if it wasn’t for UH they don’t have anything but rather associate with a UT/A&M grad cause that was their dream to begin with

Also - we have no real base from campus to the beltway due to demographic changes - those schools inside the loop and beltway went from producing a kid that participated in all events and going to college to ones that don’t go to extracurricular activities and college is a maybe

Then you have all these charter schools where there’s nothing happening and if they go to college it’s as a commuter

Lastly - we hurt ourselves with satellite campuses where a kid will never see the the main campus

1 Like

I remember hearing well before the Big East was formed, Penn State tried to get a conference together (late ‘70’s/early ‘80’s ?) made up of the major eastern independents - Penn State, Pitt, West Virginia, Syracuse, Boston College, Temple, Army, and Navy. I don’t remember why they didn’t get it worked out.

We may be close to a 100 year old university, but in terms of D1 academics and athletics, I would go out on a limb and say it is just since Dr. Khator implemented her vision for the university as top 50 research universities, medical school, focus on Championship athletics that we have become a great university. When I was there in the 80"s there was still talk of doing away with athletics, professors hated the coaches, then the in the 90’s we crashed with performance and attendance but rose up with Dr. Khator. Even with our Cotton Bowls and PSJ we had no leadership to guide us to where we are today.

3 Likes

In answer to the theme of this thread and the original post — Divine Intervention.