Who really owns the Houston market

…how, exactly?

We’ve been burned THREE times by the Big12…

1. breakup of the SWC when they actually wanted to merge with all of the SWC schools. UT did not want us.
  2. after Texas A&M and Missouri left. They picked a small private Christian school in Ft. Worth over the large Public School in the state’s biggest city.
  3. after that dog and poney show where they asked many schools to give presentations as they were exploring expansion options only to use us , and the rest, as pawns to secure more money from the networks.

Unless they make us a sweetheart deal…the Big 12 as a viable option should be our LAST! They give us an invite, we check with the other four before accepting.

5 Likes

If we have invites from the other four conferences, I tell the Big 12-2 to f off.

My preference in order:

1. B1G
  2. SEC
  3. PAC
  4. ACC

ND has a standing invite to both the BIG and AAC. The reason ND’s non football sports are in AAC is because they would accept the non football sports with a scheduling alliance in football and BIG wants all or nothing.

NO, ND does not have a standing invitation to the B1G.

The B1G had previously asked ND if it wanted to join and it said no. Recently, within the last 20 years, the B1G was willing to relax it’s academic “requirements” for AAU schools for ND and asked again. ND said no and lot of the administrations were not happy about it. Think of UT and the PAC. Then ND joined the ACC. There will be no future invitations forthcoming. The B1G does not need ND.

The PAC12 does not accept universities with church affiliations which leaves SMU out.

The increased $$ would help Fertitta not have to pony up so much cash for facilities. But, we have great facilities now for most sports. What we need is access to the FB fake national championship and that only comes by being in a conference with access to it. Only with that access can FB recruit at the level necessary for competing with the top programs in the country, consistently.

2 Likes

I full agree with the first poster. This should be documented, saved, archived, bottled or whatever and used to advance our candidacy to other P5 conferences.

This is the proof and the evidence for what we’ve been saying for a while now about who owns and can deliver most of the Houston market.

2 Likes

We own the market when we’re either good or a factor so we’d own the market here bc if in a p5 now we’d be good. Again UH now is much better than as a school than back in the SWC days. Everyone I know is hoping the Coogs win and are on brd with our bb run right now. The city is on on our side.

Coogs own this city when good or a factor which would be true if we were now in a p5 especially not the big 12 with negativity.

Our only realistic option is the PAC12. Big 12 and SEC will not let us in because of our location. Doesn’t matter the market, they’re afraid of UH having an unfair advantage for Houston recruits.

Why go to Alabama when you can stay home, save money, your family can come to all your games and can enjoy the benefits of living in lively city instead of in the middle of nowhere?

Our academics are improving, but they aren’t near the level we need to be in the Big 10. ACC just doesn’t make sense geographically. Technically, PAC12 isn’t much different either, but it’ll the west access to our market. ACC already has big markets on the east coast.

If we are super successful every year then we aren’t quite the same story to the everyday Houstonian. People become accustomed to annual success and then complacency and apathy set in.

So I say we may seem to draw lots of support, compared to other Texas teams, when successful but we can’t expect it to hold at that level over time. We need the fan’s invested in the University, not just the good story that comes around every so often.