Why UCF should accept Florida offer

Nobody should have to make scheduling concessions to make the playoff. We are all FBS schools so we are supposed to be equal. The so called power 5 already get all the playoff money. Why should we make even more concessions. The G5 needs to grow a pair and sue for access. You can’t refuse to play us on one hand and on the other hand say our schedule isn’t strong enough. THAT IS ILLEGAL. And saying we have to play 2 for 1 is not acceptable either. I fully support the UCF AD.

2 Likes

Doesn’t this only demonstrate how much influence/control ESPN has with the current college football system? It was $40m cheaper to buy off the rest of the B12-2 than to add two schools. ESPN is bankrupt. LHN is and has been a disaster. OU threatens to bolt and what choice does ESPN have? B12 presidents say, okay, we’ll “sacrifice” – show us the money. ESPN buys more time to try to fix their $$-problems.

Next ESPN gambit: control rights for 8-team FCS playoff.
ESPN could care less about AAC. Gotta wonder what Aresco is telling AAC
college presidents: you are a good farm club for providing P5 coaches?

2 Likes

OU got the vast majority of the revenue in the nuetral we played, and on top of that still got an away game…
we made numerous concessions

there was nothing fair about that ou deal, it could be argued its worse than a 2 for 1 …but yet that game gave us a chance at a playoff…
that game and the 09 okstate game will be the most talked about regular season games for us the last decade and likely the next…neither were 1 and 1

1 Like

Playing at an NFL stadium or some other more neutral site when you have a different home stadium that you play at as a “home game” for a series is generally considered to be less of a home field advantage and schools have to do it to get games with programs bigger than them. Notice that Rice’s “home game” in their series with UT is played at NRG. We did this with Miami and Oregon back when we had less cache as a program and worse facilities.

What is your source to indicate that we had the opportunity to play a standard 1 for 1 with OU with the home game at TDECU and decided against it?

If you (or UCF fans or whoever) want to not make the playoff and complain about how the system is unfair, that’s fine. The system is unfair. But when people complain that it’s impossible for a G5 to make the playoff based on a biased committee never being willing to select a G5, that’s a garbage argument until it’s legitimately put to the test.

A G5 can definitely put together a schedule that would either get them in the playoff or really demonstrate that there is a conspiracy to keep them out. But a G5 is probably never going to go undefeated against a schedule like that.

And UCF has had a game against a P5 cancelled each of the last 2 years.

1 Like

That’s true. But even if they had beaten UNC it wouldn’t have made a difference this year since UNC was terrible. And it’s not UCF’s fault UNC turned out to be awful, because that wasn’t the case when they originally scheduled that game.

But if you schedule 3 games with Florida, with 2 games on the road, there is almost no way at least a couple of those games will not be major opportunities to boost a potential playoff resume. Add a 2 for 1 with UGA/OU/Texas A&M or whoever else while you are at it and help balance out the lost home games with an FCS each year or maybe get a 2 for 1 with a Liberty or someone. I don’t think that would be smart on UCF’s part because I think making the playoff is kind of a pipe dream. But putting together a schedule to really give the committee something to think about can be done.

I agree we should be playing WSU at TDECU. We won’t come close to filling NRG for that game and TDECU would give a much better visual on TV for the 35-40,000 that MIGHT show up.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone on this board likes the current system. Most of us hate it. But what you propose is “throwing the baby out with the bath water”. The situation that exists is reality and we have to adapt to it. If that means accepting 2:1 games, then fine. We shouldn’t be making our decisions based on money. when that happens, bad decisions get made. If we want to make a legitimate run at getting into a P5 conference, we need to play the better and/or best schools they have any way we can work it. Just my opinion.

1 Like

What do you mean by this?

People love to throw that out there because ESPN revenue dropped from its absurdly high levels back to reality. It is still a cash cow for Disney. They will just be more careful how much money they throw into things for a while. Sucks for our conference, bad time to be pushing for more money. ESPN+ is going to get bigger and bigger which will probably have to be a concession if we want an increase in tv revenue.

1 Like

The scheduling issue with these called P5 schools should always be made public if the selection process is determined by who you play or not play in my view especially when the P5 schools schedules include non competitive games so they can go bowling.

If you think that’s how teams make it from G5 to P5, you really don’t understand the system. If it was, Boise would have been in long ago

1 Like

I should have been clearer. Showing we can play with the top half of the P5 is ONE piece of the puzzle. There are others, of course. It’s political at the end of the day but being competitive is an arrow in our political quiver.

Do you think there is a system? I don’t. I think expansion or realignment is a reaction to the environment at a given time.

ESPN being bankrupt is a joke. They still have the highest per subscriber fee in cable.

I confess, “bankrupt” was an erroneous term. According to a detailed accounting of ESPN financial issues, Clay Travis, in his book _Republicans Buy Sneakers Too: How the Left is Ruining Sports with Politics_emphasized text__writes a very bleak picture of ESPN’s finances, due to cord-cutting and grossly overpaying for sports rights TV deals which will negatively affect their profitability several more years. Of course Disney has very deep pockets, but ESPN has made some very poor financial long term deals. An interesting and entertaining read.

That’s a totally non biased source as well. I don’t think Clay has access or knowledge of detailed ESPN finances. I’m sure there’s no sour grapes from Clay that FS1 tried and failed miserably to challenge ESPN, and Disney just bought a giant chunk of Fox.

Clay also claimed the NFL was done and yet the ratings are excellent this season.

1 Like

The landscape is changing…

https://twitter.com/ourand_sbj/status/1072208578252034048?s=21

1 Like

UCF and UH do not have a shot at playoff without undefeated and high SOS. I don’t care if we have to 3 for 1, we must have a high ranking team on the schedule. We lucked out and caught Washington St. at a good time, and if OU can beat Bama, it would set us up for the best SOS ever. All we can ask for.
(yes, UCF is the biggest school in Florida by far and #5 nationally)

https://twitter.com/BCSNN/status/1071544054373146625

1 Like

UT bought out their game with UCF? I didn’t know that.