WOW! “Misused At Houston” - (Regarding Oliver)

I thought it was a real cheap shot from Eisen when he brought up “coat gate” after Oliver was drafted. His “joke” went over like a lead balloon with the other 3 that were sitting on the platform. No excuse NotEisenstein…

I think they had a lot of choices, but took the easy path believing that Apple Pie had all of these close relationships with high school coaches which would give him an advantage in recruiting. Conceivably it could, but if the coaching and the scheme on the field is sub par, what good is it to have top recruits? At the end, ApplePie got Fried.

2 Likes

The problem with all these shills is that they keep repeating, “Houston misused” him, not Applewhite/Dorito misused him. We don’t want that resonating with potential recruits.

It has the grimy taste of “this is what happens when you send your 5-star son to play g5.”

I’d like to hear Ed defend the school on that down the road if for no other reason than loyalty to the program.

7 Likes

He also had a lot more talent in the front seven to go along with Ed during that season. The reason Ed played on the nose was if you put him on one side of the line the other side became a walk through for the offense. Putting him on the nose gave him the opportunity to be involved in more plays and helped to hide the talent deficiencies on the front seven. Was that Ed’s best position? Probably not. Was that the way Ed could help the team the most? Probably so. So it depends on what you were trying to accomplish as to whether he was “misused” or not.

3 Likes

That’s right. Triple team or even double team Ed and your QB will be running from an LB. Dorito rarely did that, 'cause, you know, you might get burned deep. Idiot.

4 Likes

Bills fans are happy about the pick

1 Like

I don’t think EO had any loyalty to the program. I just hope he has loyalty to the school.

2 Likes

Wait, are you saying a QB, running backwards, has a hard time throwing forward? Where do you come up with these strange thoughts? Next thing you know, someone will be saying a QB can’t throw well laying flat on the ground under a pile.

2 Likes

No Orlando moved him around quite a bit along the line. Go rewatch the Louisville game and see what he was doing.

2 Likes

Actually, it’s incredibly difficult to land a Chik-fil-a franchise.

Besides draftable players:

Davis will land somewhere, but he was hurt early on. Saw somewhere that he was considered a top 450 draft eligible player.

Myres and Robinson will also land somewhere in a training camp.

This defense has talent, but that talent was often times put in positions that didn’t allow them to succeed. Combo of scheme, positioning, and offensive pace that caused the failure. The lack of adjustments throughout the season were a huge issue.

1 Like

I think Ed sees the program in split dimensions - one as a national competitor and the other giving up 70 to Army. He loves the first and abhors the second. We’ll see which he identifies with as he has time to reflect.

2 Likes

They should have hired Orlando as HC. You do two things with that… 1 you elevate a great coordinator to head coach (Major was not a grear OC by any stretch of the imagination). 2 you make Herman go searching for a new coordinator. Without Orlando Herman might be on the hot seat right now.

6 Likes

Orlando blitzed all the time almost. Coach no d just sat back and hoped Big Ed could beat double and triple teams and gave him no help. We had countless threads on it during the season.

3 Likes

I heard the “Ed was misused comment” and I think it was Kipers way of saying I cant believe a G5 got a top ten pick,(as if he would be higher if he was not misused). It is supposed to be all blue bloods P5 dominating the top spots. The OU game showed Ed’s talent as a freshman and they know it. The Outland and Lombardy do not go to anybody. Ed will be a great player in Buffalo.

5 Likes

No that’s not what he was saying at all. They were saying he was misused, because just like we were saying all year, he was being misused.

Ed was widely thought of as a top 3 or 5 pick. Until he was tripled teamed and injured into out of sight of of mind mode. He brought himself back into the top 10 with outstanding workouts.

3 Likes

Ed coming here at the time he came here will definitely be used against us when going after top recruits. LSU can just whisper in their ear how they don’t want to waste their 3 years in college losing to San Diego St, Fresno St, and Army in bowl games. It sucks that we had such a talent and squandered our last two years with him.

5 Likes

But we can still say it won’t affect your draft status.

2 Likes

His 2nd year was as good or better than his 1st. His final year was not a disaster except for the fact he only played in 8 games, and that is blame that needs to be laid at the feet of the HC, DC, and even a little at the feet of Big Ed, himself. His production was consistent across all three seasons. His supporting cast was not.

Edit: Oh, and blame at the feet of Naval Academy Offensive Linemen and their coaches.

1 Like