WSU

wow really…just because i’m being realistic about our team i’m potentially not a Coog?? WTH!!! i’m a proud UH COOG c/o '07. I was there through the bad dimel days and briles winning the conf. usa title and the birth of case keenum. I am also a big football fan, former college prospect who was sidelined by an injury before graduating hs…I love the game and the Coogs but i’m also realistic and genuine. The reality, in comparison to successful Coog teams in the past is this - this team has some serious questions and I don’t want to have things end up like they did last year

1 Like

I thought Moore was suspended. Has he left UH?

I actually didn’t mention the 3.7 I made a comment about the 2.7…3.7 for a rushing avg isn’t super horrible but it’s a little on the low side but 2.7 is really really bad, period - that’s what I said.

Need isn’t the same as only and doesn’t mean the same in any context. The word only excludes any other. With UH playing this pac 12 mike leach coached team they need to be able to stop the pass (this statement is not excluding any other aspect).

Let’s use your scenario - UH makes long clock draining drives by rushing but still can’t defend the pass. - All this will do is allow wsu to answer by scoring quickly via passing thus fatiguing our o-line and making our backs more susceptible to injury - this. is. not. a. good. plan.

they need to be able to defend the pass at least decently or else it’s going to be a long season

1 Like

he’s suspended indefinitely …I always felt like that was the nice way of saying kicked out

It’s certainly not an ideal plan, but this is exactly the scenario we saw last year. While it would be nice to have a decent defense, that’s just not the case this year. But I would rather have a not-very-good defense with fresh legs than a not-very-good defense that is completely worn out in the 2nd half. At least a fresh defense has a puncher’s chance of creating a turnover or getting a stop.

1 Like

Wrong

We (Wazzu) tend to wear people down by the 4th. What most don’t realize is that a Leach offense is not about quick scoring drives. Our “3 yards and a cloud of dust” is more like a swing pass to the back in the flat for 4 yards, another across the middle for 3 and then a 15 yarder due to the DB’s starting to cheat up. Believe it or not, we usually win the T.O.P. stat.

so he isn’t suspended indefinitely?

Oh so WAZZU is more like Muhammad Ali’s rope-a-dope. Oops, some.of you guys may be to young to know what that is.

2 Likes

Yea, pretty much. Not a bad comparison, really.

I don’t disagree, but unless our defense has found drastic improvement since OU, I’m not sure you could slow down your scoring drives if you wanted to.

1 Like

And in case our secondary wasn’t already the weak spot…

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1171174003484057600

…but that’s the issue, with the db’s looking like they have so far with fresh legs it doesn’t seem like they can make a stop. all an opponent has to do is attack the mid to deep thirds. I’m sorry but I just don’t like what I’ve seen so far in the 1st 2 games from the db’s…I do hope they get the W Friday #GoCOOGS

You’re getting no argument from me about our DBs. My only point was, all things considered, I’d rather be able to run the ball successfully and control the pace of the game, even if it means giving up quick scores in return. We saw what quick scores (or at least attempted quick scores) did to an already weak defense last year. No more of that, thank you very much!

1 Like

Which is one HUGE complaint against Leach, btw. When we need to run time off the clock, we struggle. It’s the nature of the air raid. However this year we have a pretty good RB named Max Borghi. That helps.

Lol I was pulling your chain with the Coog vs Coug comment.

I never said only means the same as need, I said they were similar in this context( what it takes to win the game). Your argument and tone suggested that the Coogs “have to” stop the pass to be successful (win), and without that we cant win. I offered a counter to that by implying that running the ball negates the amount of time(s) we “have” to play pass defense , therefore decreasing the likelihood of being scored on.

As far as Oline fatigue setting in, that’s the least of our worries. And WSU is not going to score everytime they pass the ball or on the first play of every drive. The Oline will be able to catch their breath. We are also relatively deep at running back. The flipside of that coin is Wazzu’s defense will definitely be gassed if we can pull it off. It may be the best plan we got, and it may work.

Edit: notice I’m throwing a lot of ifs around and not speaking in certain. I’m not agreeing nor disagreeing with you. Just stating my perspective.

I think its pretty proven that long, clock eating TD drives are the best way to help a defense facing a top notch air raid team. It screws with rhythm and a 3 and out can make them press next time on the field. Your defense still has to get some stops, but they are more rested and have more confidence.

If we try to play like we did against Tech last year, it will be a similar result or worse.

3 Likes

Not kicked off the team

Yes that happened a lot last season but if UH is run dominant while giving up quick scores then that means they’d wear themselves out being 1 dimensional. IF that’s the case we can only hope that our opponent’s defense is fatigued as well

of course BUT not if they can’t stop the pass, which was the initial concern