Your All-Time Greatest MLB Line Up

In Sharpstown ? :grinning: Big E ! man remember he absolutely crushed one into RF upper deck in Dome. Stros traded him to M’s for Hampton iirc

Thought it was coming right to me when Eric hit it. Alas, it landed about 3 rows below us.

Way too many greats for him to be there

Good list but I would add Ozzie Smith, the greatest defensive shortstop of all time along with maybe Mike Schimt at third.
Looking back we have had some great Astro players over the years but I still feel Cedeno could have been the best

3 Likes

CC was incredible…The Lip even called him The Next Willie Mays…what could have been

2 Likes

We only have one hall of famer from the Houston area. Nolan Ryan…

Doug Rader

Roger Clemens……nevermind

Pollard, don’t start needling the posters.

1 Like

Man, juice or not, Rocket was a WARRIOR on the bump

3 Likes

Joe Morgan.

He was my favorite player and just amazingly good his first few years. He was the next “Say Hey Kid,” batting .320 two consecutive seasons, hitting over 20 homers, stealing over 50 bases, and winning the Golden Glove. But he dropped off after those first magical seasons, not precipitously but enough to where he was considered more a good, solid player more than a budding or actual superstar.

1 Like

I loved when he and Pettite came home to pitch.

1 Like

His whole career seemed to go up in flames when he was accused of killing his girlfriend

From a couple of encounters I had with Cedeno, he was not emotionally equipped to handle his fame and opportunity. First meeting was when he was a rookie and he and his girlfriend bought a stereo from me with his Astro bonus money. He could not have been nicer. Second experience was when he crashed his car into my former in-laws yard and was immediately thought to under suspicion of dui. Can’t remember if he was convicted or not, but he was pretty missed up. Booze can screw up a career just as fast as drugs. :frowning: I prefer to remember him as that shy rookie who could not have been nicer as opposed to the Cedeno who had obvious issues as his career progressed. His first few years were superb.

2 Likes

Why in hades die you start this thread, Bluto? Shame on you! Now I’m gonna waste way to much time dwelling on it, LOL. Do I go mostly old school like you, or go more modern era? I’m gonna go with my favorites and invoke the right to add a “Rover”
SP “Bullet” Bob Gibson (my Dad called him Hoot)
RP Richard “Goose” Gossage
C Johnny Bench (So good, he did not need a nickname, Dad call him Hands)
1B Jeff Bagwell (Just can’t bring myself to call him Baggy)
2B “Little” Joe Morgan
3B Brooks Robinson, Mr Hoover
SS Ozzie Smith, The Wizzard
OF George Herman Ruth, “The Babe”
OF Willie Mays, “The Say Hey Kid”
OF Mickey Mantle, “The Mick” (Dad called him Muscles)
OF Ted Williams, “The Kid” (So good, he had 3 or 4 others)
and 50 or more honorable mentions!

1 Like