10 years ago today, a miracle run completed

Was the Dickey hire mostly about an affordable name? Or did he have something that we thought might pan out?

1 Like

Agree, think Penders did a great job given our situation at the time. I thought it was time to move on when we did but was furious when we picked Dickey. It made no sense.

6 Likes

I think Mack panicked a bit after BCG didn’t work out and some of his other options had moved on (e.g. Bob Marlin).

I do think Dickey had a plan and brought on some great recruiters. The recruiting part worked out great. It’s hard to believe we had House, Young, and Thomas on the same team. It’s just as crazy that team wasn’t good.

3 Likes

Mack Rhodes did the hiring. What more would you need to know.

1 Like

I think RT is mostly right. Mack wanted BCG but that fell apart, supposedly either over money or Dr. K firmly saying no (she was spot on if that’s what happened). Marlin was supposedly the backup plan but he had a ticking offer with ULaLa that he took a day or two before BCG fell through.

It’s been speculated on the board that Mack Rhoades is good friends with Coach Brooks and that BCG and Dickey were both at the top of the pile because they were going to have Alvin on their staff.

And yeah, money was low and our infrastructure was crumbling so the options were limited. Here were the other candidates.

-BCG - Complete professional and personal implosion at Tech. Crushed it after that at Ranger College and just hired at Tarleton.

-Bob Marlin - Solid but unspectacular run at ULala. Probably would have had more success than Dickey but probably less than Penders.

-Rodney Terry - Similar. Solid but unspectacular run at Fresno. Left for UTEP on a probably warmish seat. Looks like he may have UTEP on an upward trajectory.

-Chris Walker - Took over as interim coach for a season at Tech after BCG imploded and had a really awful year. Currently an assistant at Cal.

-John Lucas - Wanted the job but we weren’t interested.

RT is also right, Dickey’s recruiting was surprisingly incredible. It’s also incredible that we were in the bottom half of the NCAA with those guys. We were decent offensively but beyond atrocious on defense. Our scheduling was a complete joke too. That 20 win team with those three played the second worst schedule in the entire country.

I wanted BCG and was definitely wrong on that one. After that I wanted Lucas. He’d have been very boom or bust, though.

3 Likes

Good points
anyone remember who did all the coaching when dickey was here? Those teams were god awful defensively! No doubt Dickey was a good man though.

1 Like

Some on the board I think said Coach Brooks was the “defensive coordinator” then. I trust Alvin is a valuable staff member since CKS wanted him and has kept on staff the whole time here. But if Alvin really had that role and had free reign to do what he wanted schematically and adequate time to do the drills/film study/etc. that he wanted he was pretty bad in that particular role at that time. He may not have really had that role and/or time or free reign to do what he wanted with it, though.

Our offense under Dickey was great at creating post isolations. That’s why Tashawn was such a monster here. And like I said, on the whole it wasn’t bad. However, it seemed a bit archaic and unnecessarily complicated vs. how basketball has been trending. Stats may not match my memory but I remember us turning it over a lot. The offense was also going to be bad when TT left if CJD had been given more time since it didn’t look like we had anyone in the pipeline to fill his shoes. When we were running post ups through Maurice McNeil we were lousy offensively (nice player, but not a good player to be the key to your offense).

1 Like

Mack hired Dickey because he had basically zero connections in the coaching world except for Alvin and Gillipsie.

1 Like

I don’t remember TT being a “monster”. In fact, I saw many games on TV and in person, he appeared soft in the paint. A good player, but not a “monster”.

His sophomore year he scored 17 a game with 10 boards, 1.7 blks, 1 steal and 2.5 assists. His true shooting percentage was a solid 57% and he had a PER of 27.6 and 5.3 win shares.

While individually each of those numbers don’t always tell the whole story (some more than others) those are monster numbers. He was an exceptionally good player here.

When I say monster I mean monster production. Not like he’d beat someone up in a fight.

Yea. I saw him as a scrapper. Often in the right place to clean up something or grab a rebound. Had he been a couple of inches taller, I’d suspect he’d be in the NBA with his athleticism and effort.