16 Team Playoff with 10 Auto-bids

Wrong.
First, can’t compare basketball to football in many areas, but still the blue-bloods get a majority of the top knotch talent for a reason. Yes, there are some examples of smaller schools winning the National Title, but those go against the norm.

In football yes, you could get some more kids opting to go somewhere else because you’ve leveled the playing field in one regard… but 99/100 kids will want to play infront of 70k at a major university over 20k at some MAC school.

The talent gap isn’t as much a shot at a national title, I’d say it’s primarily everything else going to a place like Florida has over FAU.

You have had miserable games for years already. I find it truly unbelievable. Some of you even think that the so called “because they would get beat” they therefore should not play. What is this?
Sport is about lacing them up period. Nothing else matters. For anyone that thinks there is an automatic loss or win coming has never understood the true meaning of a loss or a win.
Which School was it that was underdog by 25.5 points and won? This why we play friends. Anything can happen. The wide world of sports dictionary is full with major upsets. To deny a full FBS Div I member/Conference Champion of a chance to compete at the highest level is a larceny.
I invite you to open the larceny definition. This cfp is exactly what it is.

2 Likes

Yes, anything can happen… but this is football where guys are smashing their heads into each other, not exactly basketball. I’m sure in this HYPOTHETICAL tournament (this is what we’re discussing), LSU would be thrilled when a kid gets concussed playing a throw-in team out there simply because “anything can happen.”

My point is simply about the auto-bids for “smaller” conferences. Yes, if there was a playoff their should be at-large bids for deserving teams… but IMO, in football an undefeated powerhouse does not need to play a team like Miami (OH) when they already lost 5 games!

I seldom make predictions about what the NCAA will do about anything but in this case I feel comfortable pinning that a 16 game playoff will never happen…at least in my lifetime.

2 Likes

Miami in their first 6 seasons in the Big East. Florida State won 9 straight ACC titles in the ACC after being an independent.

There was no P5/G5.

Very different times. I think you know that.

He was refencing UH going to the SWC in the seventies. You can’t say the SWC was a power conference in the 70’s and that the ACC & Big east weren’t power conferences when Florida state and Miami joined those in the early nineties.

We should have the attitude of competing for a National Championship every year.

As Ara said to Rudy.

Obviously we are not at that level physically or financially but we need that attitude emotionally.

I’m afraid if the P-5’s hands are forced, they will set up their collegiate athletic association with their own membership rules. I would think in order to minimize likely hood of lawsuits, they would have to pull out of the NCAA completely, as in no sports, etc, there. Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if this new association picks which teams they want, their way of getting rid of the P-5 “Deadwood”.

Chris, why don’t you get the ball rolling and file a lawsuit against the CFP governing board? It obvious no one else is going to step up.

This. The only thing that should ever matter in sports is the scoreboard. The CFP committee are setting up prize fights for ratings, they don’t care about the integrity of the game. They often talk about the ‘eye test’ and good losses vs bad wins … What the hell does an eye test have to do with anything? Is this a dog show or football?

Good catch and now this.
When did Miami started playing/competing football in FBS Div I?..1929
When did Florida State started playing/competing football in FBS Div I?..1902
When did U of H start playing FBS Div I? Go ahead what is the response?
Go ahead try to downplay our entry and our immediate conference championships.
I will say it again. We are not only a sleeping giant but we are a national powerhouse waiting for the door to open.

1 Like

Then why do you have a FBS Div I football? That is as simple as this definition. You either have it or not. A so called more physical Team can be beat by a faster Team. It happens every Saturday or Sunday.
An SEC Team is not happy that Miami of Ohio gettin in? Relocate yourself to the MAC. They will gladly take you.
For the billionth time this is not about sport. This is about money.

2 Likes

Those P-5s need a couple of “Washington Generals” to beat up on. The schedule would be too tough otherwise.

They will not leave the NCAA

2 Likes

You are 100% correct and if they would try to create their own separate league away from the ncaa? You can already hear/read D.C. threatening to pull grant public money way from these same Schools.

1 Like

He didn’t downplay. You asked a question and he answered it. You couldn’t find other teams that completely dominated P equivalent conferences when they joined, and he gave two examples.

Yes, it is about money. P5 schools have it, most non-P5 don’t have anything close to what they have.

That’s why I think there will eventually be a split and this idea that D-1 football where schools like Rice are on the same level at Texas will be gone for good.

Where do we stand when that happens, who knows.

The CFB is quite simply, Un-American, it’s amazing that lawyers and politicians haven’t dismantled it yet. We all know why that hasn’t happened…pure greed/$$$$. If a program is D1 they should have a chance at winning it all, plain and simple. Either open it up or as others have stated, break away and form a separate association.

I agree with you but a lot of lawyers and politicians are alum of those P5 schools and don’t care about G5 issues.

As in most national issues, someone has to step up and put it on the front burner. UH isn’t going to do it and risk their opportunity of being a member of the so-called cartel and I doubt any other G5 will or their local US rep.

Was the BCS any better?