1st Silver Glove-Tues 27th @ Rice. (L 4-3)

Rally time! :clap::clap:

2 Likes

Top 9th
Fuentes pinch hits for Redden
Hollis with a 2 out single brings up Davis
Rice goes to the pen

Hollis to 2nd on a wild pitch. Davis walks

That’s it. Coogs lose 4-3 to end the 8 game win streak.

Coogs get burned again by not being able to get runs home early when they had chances (to include yet another failed squeeze attempt). Off to Cincy to start a series on Thursday.

Hurts to wild pitch in two runs as well. If you aren’t going to score you can’t give away runs.

2 Likes

The repeated failed squeeze attempts and apparent base running issues are mind-boggling.

4 Likes

This is not a very good Rice team
once again we get plenty of hits but just can’t get over the hump
wild pitches, wild base running and other mental errors make this a typical Cougar game this year

2 Likes

Hate giving away outs with all the bunt attempts.

1 Like

I HATE bunting, but this team struggles so much with RISP situations that I somewhat understand trying it. This feels a lot like 2016: generally good pitching staff, but the line-up just doesn’t have enough top to bottom. Sincerely hope conference play proves me wrong though.

1 Like

I have seen them try the squeeze play at least 4 times this year and it has not worked yet.

1 Like

I agree with the logic, but I think they’ve had one successful squeeze all year (last week against Memphis). If you’re going to keep using this strategy, you have to make sure these kids can put down a good bunt
right now, they can’t.

Definitely reminds me of 2016. Good pitching, mediocre hitting, and too many mistakes on the base paths. We seem to have a better fielding team than we had that year, but we also have less power without Wong, Julks, and freshman-year Joe Davis. There’re pieces there, but the mistakes and the inability to get clutch hits are killing us.

3 Likes

It’s just amazing to me that a D1 college team (any college team, really) can be so poor at bunting. They don’t even need to be great bunts - they just need to not suck.

3 Likes

It’s clear our bunts have not been working. When listening/watching the games, I keep shaking my head and wondering why we keep trying to do that. There are several times a sac fly would have scored from third, but we went with the bunt instead and were thrown out at home. .

I think some of the hitters can’t even make contact to create the sac fly to bring in the run. We would normally swing and strike out.

A bunt should absolutely be the higher percentage play to get a run home. A decent bunt does that with ease.