1st time in a long time

I’m just hoping Clayton can go out and have some fun running this offense. Dana is a terrific offensive mind. And Clayton is a gifted athlete (yes, he’s even a runner when he has to be.) I don’t see any reason why this combination can’t win us a conference championship or two.

2 Likes

Thank you for that…I’m gonna fire my spellchecker for such an egregious error in not keeping up with current trends :tired_face:

4 Likes

Hmmm…don’t know what to make of that. I was there at the same time and it was very well known to spell it C-O-O-G-S back then.

Well, I was a night student working full time and just trying to survive. So be it…this is a tough board. Does anybody really think I’m troll for Washington State? If so, I invite the mods to expel me. No matter, I will always be a Houston COUger fan.

1 Like

Well, we are linked to WSU. Our mascot was named for theirs. One of those fascinating pieces of sports trivia. Much like the naming of Iowa and Nevraskas mascots.

Or like trying to tell people the Rockets already had that name when they moved from San Diego.
Didnt work as well for the Minneapolis Lakers when they moved to the West Coast :grin:

Last night at the BB game, they brought out Clayton, gave him the mike, and he led a cheer with the crowd…
It was great.
I truly believe that we will have little or no drama going on, and that we can focus on getting 100% behind OUR team…
Go Coogs !!!

7 Likes

I thought that bringing him to the game and leading the “whose house?” cheer was all about amping his profile among the fans. Worked for me.

3 Likes

If the stories I heard are true, we received a live Cougar from Washington State. A dentist I play golf with weekly told me he was in school when the cougar arrived on campus . . . . .

1 Like

My Fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega, raised funds for the first live Cougar. We also sponsored a contest to name the Cougar, with “Shasta” winning.

A sub set of APO, The Cougar Guard, bought the first Shasta in Mexico in 1947.

From 1947 to 1989 The Cougar Guard was responsible for Shasta, but then The University discontinued having a live Cougar on campus.

Old Guard Members can tell you stories of The Aggies trying to steal Shasta in the early 1960’s.

Let’s just say that The Aggies are still running and need to change their underwear.

5 Likes

Robert: We are all indebted to you and your fellow Cougar Guards. One of the highlights of games in the Dome was Shasta’s appearance. She showed great on TV too. Wish we could bring her back and have a first class facility on campus (well guarded).

3 Likes

Back in the '60s when I was going to school, I can vividly remember walking by Shasta’s cage many times. Great memories…

2 Likes

The Cougar Guard took Shasta to U of Kentucky when we played them there in 1966. Along the way something went wrong with the Shasta trailer they were pulling so The Guard put Shasta in the car with them. They pulled into Lexington this way. Story was it caused quite the stir there. No confirmation if Shasta did some of the driving.

5 Likes

4 Likes

I remember as well. Just across from where the Hilton is now. She (whichever version) is happily relaxing at the Houston Zoo

2 Likes

Many fond memories of walking out of the way go by to see Shasta 69-73. Loved seeing the Cougar Guard with her. Wish she was back on campus too. I think it would add a huge addition to the campus and be a special treat for students, visitors and kiddos. I’d love to be able to bring my grandkids and great grandkids to see Shasta on campus versus the zoo.

3 Likes

Yes, I walked by Shasta’s “house” many times back in 1970-74. Cool deal. I really miss it, and I miss seeing her in her cage at the UH FB & BB games.

1 Like

Coming into 2012 there were a lot of people that were not hyped/sold on Piland taking over, especially under a new staff, including an OC Tony found on Google.

Opinions were much more extreme one way or the other though where many more folks expressed being sold that Piland would be successful than you see with Tune now and many more folks were convinced he would not be successful than you see with Tune now.

A lot of this was residual from the Piland/Broadway arguments from 2 years prior where folks dug themselves into a position.

Plenty were in between though like you see with Tune now.

I also don’t remember much hype/confidence about the QB situation coming into 2007.

Robert, and for all, here is the link to
The Shasta Cam

Click on the arrow for the live feed
Not now…it’s dark😃

1 Like

I have a great photo of Shasta framed and hanging on my Red Room wall. It was taken by Don “The Crazy Coog” Shearer back in the 80’s.