2017 signee LB Landry Kershaw

https://twitter.com/Landryk_37/status/864472823603093504

Is this kid a walk on?

Wow - 270 tackles (145 solo) this past season to lead the nation. He definitely has a nose for the football. And second-team on the Max-preps All-American team! Nice pick-up for 2017!

Welcome to the H!

Really appears to move to the ball nicely! Welcome to Cougar Nation, Landry!

Yes!

Is the young man a signee for 2016-17 (this year) or will he be coming in 2018?

He’s a preferred walk-on.

1 Like

I don’t care what level a kid is playing on, you get that many tackles, you deserve a recruiting profile. Does ESPN and 247 contact the recruits for permission or do the recruits usually instigate a profile?

Before I checked his stats, I thought undersized but he’s 6’2"-220.

The kid has to attend a camp and receive recognition, be recognized by one of the site’s scouts, or receive a scholarship offer before getting a recruiting profile on one of the major sites. A lot of solid kids get overlooked in the process because they aren’t one of the top 2-3 players on a team and may just have bad days when they go to camp or when a recruiting scout stops by. Some of it also has to do with high school coaches not pumping kids up enough when they have coaches stopping by or the school just doesn’t have a top guy so the coaches don’t stop by enough.

I like that we’re getting this kid though and hopefully he feels slighted and busts his butt to make it. UH has always found the diamonds in the rough and been able to polish them up.

1 Like

I conquer Patrick. What I like most about him is his ability to read and make plays. Would a free safety be his real best position? You are right friends making that many tackles is not a coincidence. Again we have to keep in mind that this is his highlights reel. We also have to look at the competition and see how he played against solid competition. His positioning needs to improve. I also did not like some of his tackling technique. There is a lot of room there to improve…which is fine. Let’s keep in mind that he is a walk on. I command our recruiting for finding him.