2018 OOC schedule

LoRezz,

I’d rather we play SHSU, Lamar, or HBU if we absolutely MUST play a I-FCS team. The Southland is darn good as I-FCS football conferences go.

Personally, I wouldn’t even recommend that though. But TSU? Geesh.

As bad as SHSU, Lamar, or HBU would be…TSU would be MANY levels of suck worse.

Where do you suggest we play basketball for 2017-18 then?

I’m not going to dispute any of those teams with you, and I’d consider those local. I really enjoyed the Lamar game, but along with everyone else I’d just as soon not play FCS. In my OP I guess I had theTennessee Tech game in mind. Perhaps “regional” is the better term.

I realize that we may have no choice but to play TSU in football this year for that reason, but excepting that, I’d never schedule them for football.

I’m fine with scheduling them for other sports.

We need a P5 home game for 2020 and that should be the focus right now. Finding a good one to give us a home game then with a return in 2022 or 2024 will not be easy. Also need a G5 home game in 2019 and wont be able to give a return until 2022 or 2024.

Colorado is probably the P5 for 2020.

Forgot we are working on that deal. Pac does a 9 game conference schedule though, right? That means they don’t have room until 2023 unless they are dropping a game. They play A&M 2020,21 and TCU 2022,23. Would think our games would be 2024,25.

1 Like

Yep, good point

Shaggy, listen man, I told you in my previous reply, which you only partially quoted, that my comment on the seating at Rice as the reason UT didn’t want to play there was a poor attempt at humor, a tongue in cheek, statement. So lay off that.

I don’t care what UT fans feel when they lose. Rice is a decent football team infrequently enough that the fans of their better opponents chalk the game up as a win automatically. So when Rice beats them, it’s a shock. I don’t care where or why UT plays Rice or if they play Rice, or if they even have a football program.

This is what I think, too. Unfortunately, at the moment, our scheduling is so screwed up that I think we’ll likely wind up having to play another FCS team in 2019 and/or 2020. The only open road date we have until 2024 is in '22.

We are in a 2 game deficit for home games so Texas Southern gets us more on track. The best case scenario would be trying to pay a G5 to just come play one game in 2019, then if a miracle happened and Baylor or Ole Miss dropped out (or got kicked out) of the 2020 Advocare Kickoff, we could slide into that slot and do the same thing as the OU game putting it in season tickets. That would set us up to try to get a P5 for 2022 (road) and 2023 (home) assuming Colorado in 24-25. The wildcard is is UTSA wants to make up that game in San Antonio.

1 Like

I’d sell our soul NOT to play another G5. Get a 1 and done deal and beat the crap out of whomever gives us the deal. A deal is out there HY, git-r-dun.

1 Like

The longer we as Cougars accept G5 games on our schedule the longer everyone else thinks of us as a G5 team. And maybe we are…

1 Like

We are, by definition a G5 team. So yes, we are a G5 team.

By definition we are G5 but accepting it is part of the problem.

So your suggestion is that we play 4 P5 teams on the road every year? I’d suggest you get checked up for massive head trauma.

4 Likes

One and done games would leave us with 4 home games a year. That is economically unsustainable.

3 Likes

Also, against NCAA rules. FBS teams are required to play 5 home games per year.

2 Likes

It’s hard to believe they even have to make a rule like that. I guess it’s for schools with absolutely no fan support that try to make it up by allowing the football players to be crash test dummies for cash.

Not if you get paid enough.