2019-20 Starting 5 and Rotation

I would like to see (3) gunners on the floor at all times. I think Fabian has the ability to shoot from long range, and Deeky needs to shoot shoot shoot 3s all summer long.

I expect Jarreau to work on and develop a good 3 point shot over the summer. It is what is missing in his repertoire. He has a very quick step to the basket and moves that get him past a defender pretty quick. Toward the end of the season, as someone mentioned, defenders were staying back to try and keep him from driving. When he develops a consistent outside shot he could be unstoppable.

2 Likes

An outside shot/step back would be killer! Would make him unstoppable. Get Harden in here to guest coach!

3 Likes

His problem is he doesn’t have a jump shot. Go look at footage and he shots a set shot. Great if defenders back off but worthless if his drive gets cut off. I’d be happy with a mid-range jumper and leave the 3s to our better shooter.

3 Likes

He could have been the missing piece against Kentucky down low. Put him next to Gresham and or White and we would have a big upgrade in rebounding and offensive production down low.

Reading the article, the schools that are listed are actually schools that he says Have Shown interest in Him, so Houston reached out I’m sure once he received his release from A&M.

Somebody posted earlier in this string about Sampson’s ability to develop players, and pointed out the difference between last year’s Robertson and Davis and this year’s Robertson and Davis in the playoffs as proof.

Point taken. 100% agreement here.

I’d sure like to see Sampson do the same for Fabian White. If that guy could shoot and score a little bit better, then he could be deadly.

Gorham sure sounds like a great prospect; I hope that he is as good as he sounds. If so, then he could give us a bit more of an inside game, though we still need a true big man. Not sure that Gresham will ever be the answer there.

Of course, we do seem to have a great recruiting class coming in (one that could get even better if we sign that aTm de-commit) and they might also contribute!

Until then though, I can’t really speculate about how any new players that I haven’t seen play will impact us, so for now, I think that I’d probably go with red80’s list.

My guess is that Armoni Brooks will be next season’s biggest star, and will score and hit threes at an even bigger clip than this year.

FINAL FOUR BAYBEE!!!

5 Likes

I believe Caleb Mills will be really good. Especially since he has already been practicing. That kid is a stud from what I’ve heard and watched… Glad he enrolled early and got to see and learn from Davis and Robinson!

I really hope hope both Davis and Robinson get a shot in the NBA.

1 Like

Actually, percentage wise, Jarreau was third on the team with 3 pt shooting. Of course he played fewer minutes than the leaders. He also got a late start to the season.

I am fine with his 3 pt shooting.

Alley OTOH, took 72% of his shots from 3 pt range and shot less than 27%. Meaning he shot 55% from 2 pt range. He is a good FT shooter. I would like to see him take it to the hoop more. He has the body for it.

If OTOH, CKS wants him to shoot the 3’s, then by all means take them. But, work on them A LOT this offseason.

1 Like

Jarreau shoots a very good percentage from 3, but he didn’t shoot many and will only shoot them if he’s wide open. To take his game to the next level (and if he wants a legit shot as a guard in the NBA), he needs to be able to create his own shot from 3 (drive/cross-over and step back) and develop a quicker trigger. I have no doubt he’s going to working on that extensively this summer.

2 Likes

Exactly, 2002. If he made the same percentage, but with a quick trigger, he would be amazing. He really only took wide open shots from 3-point land. He actually would pass them up when open often.

Agree, also, if he becomes a true 3 pt threat, then watch out, his drives to hoop will be even more spectacular.

This is exactly what makes James Harden nearly unguardable. At the UH level, it’s also what made Rob Gray such a weapon. Deeky has better handles and better size than Rob. He’s almost as good of a finisher as Rob and will certainly get better there too. If he gets good and confident from 3, we’ll be wondering next year if he’ll stick around for his senior year.

2 Likes

He should for his own good. Then again, I do not know his circumstances.

My selfish view, it that he needs 2 more years to be NBA ready.

I hope he puts on some meat on those bones during offseason.

1 Like

Then again, he might just be one of those lucky bastards who can eat all they want and stay skinny😎

1 Like

I miss the days of a fast metabolism lol

I thought the same thing about Fabian White, but feel his maturation process was slowed because he was coming off an injury. Additionally, I think he was asked to play a certain role for the benefit of the team this season. He should have marked improvement next year.

1 Like

Back in the day a kid could just go over to Fonde and get all the summer training they needed.

G - Jarreau
G - Brooks
G - Hinton
F - Gorham
F - Gresham
This might be the best lineup that complements everyone’s offensive strengths. I could see this lineup operating a lot like the Rockets. Jarreau and Gresham would be great pick and roll and all the rest provide great spacing because they shoot the 3. If Fabian stretches his range from that midrange baseline shot to the corner 3 then he would be great too. But with Jarreau’s driving ability we need to create more space for him to work.