2019-20 Starting 5 and Rotation

Harris will have to improve a lot before he starts !!

I don’t see it !

Yeah he’s def not starting material. Solid role player and Can give you good minutes in stretches. But not a starter.

1 Like

I think that it is interesting as people talk about who is coming in, that very little is said about Roberts. I don’t think he will be a starter, but remember that CKS said that Roberts can really be a “WOW” type of rim protector! That can fit the system that wants to have 4 3 pt. shooters. I know he is listed 6’7” but if you are an amazing shot blocker at that size you must have some serious athletic ability!

So true Randy…those days of the great centers who actually played inside are virtually gone. I think Sampson prefers an athletic guy who can rebound and box out…I think Gresham fits the bill here…he runs the floor well, plays good defense and can shoot free throws although he could use a polishing in that area. Doubt he will ever have much of an offensive game, but those dunks that Dejon delivers are a delight to watch.
One guy who everyone leaves out of the starting lineup is Mills. I expect Mills might not start in the beginning with Jarreau handling the ball, but I think he is going to see the court a whole bunch…

I would not be shocked if Mills started honestly. He is definitely in contention. Jarreau has a lot of work to do this offseason. Super athletic but the decision making isn’t consistent enough. Sampson loves a PG like Galen. Consistency is key.

2 Likes

If he can play d he’ll be starting way sooner than later!

but its really interesting looking at houston height over the last 3 years

2017 starting line up
6’1
6’1
6’1
6’6
6’.8 (barely played bcuz of fouls) backup was 6’6

2018 starting lineup
6’1
6’1
6’3
6’7
6’8

projected 2019 startng line up
6’5
6’6
6’3
6’7
6’11 or 6’8

6 Likes

You also have to remember that Mills has been practicing with the team the last 3+ months. That’s going to give him a huge advantage over those coming in.

4 Likes

It would have been nice if JD or someone would have asked one of the players what they thought of Mills during their many tourney interviews since they’ve practiced with him. Would have given us a non-coach speak viewpoint.

If he was constantly schooling sweet 16 players I’d be ok with that.

Sampson said he’s the best offensive players they’ve recruited since he’s been here. Could mean he’s great. Who knows?

2 Likes

Early reports were that he was “unstoppable”

One other item worth mentioning is that in one of Galen’s interviews yesterday he stated that next year’s team had a “much higher ceiling”.

3 Likes

Oh yeah. Didn’t forget that really. I think that was clearly the reason CKS had him enroll early for sure.

1 Like

I think that it is true, but I will never forget that Keenum said Piland might break all his records. Wont trust any player’s public comments about teammates after that.

3 Likes

Piland ended up with concussion issues.

1 Like

Regardless and before that… bless his heart but he was never a top notch league (and I mean our CUSA league) QB. Before the concussions.

1 Like

He was doing well before the concussions.

Evidence?

Crawford was the man but the coaches like you were stubborn and blind until it was too late. Rice enjoyed that year though. Its all good fellow Coog. Water under the bridge.

And I have the utmost respect and gratitude for Piland’s contributions. I am just being an honest historian.

1 Like

Piland was awful!

1 Like

He shoots free throws a lot better than Harris and in tight games that can make a difference.

1 Like