2019-20 Starting 5 and Rotation

Pesik, I don’t know who the 6-11 guy is, could you fill me in. Unless CKS is bringing in someone, our tallest guy is 6-10 and I just don’t see him starting unless he has a major improvement over the summer.

Delmar, almost evryone shoots free throws better than Harris. He shot 20.7%, my 9 year old grandson shot better than that for his team and he wasn’t the best shooter.

Mills is listed as a “combo guard.” Do you think he will be our backup PG? If he’s a scorer we may want him at the 2, though it’s more crowded than PG currently. If Mills is really good I don’t see CKS having a problem starting him since he redshirted. Technically.

Jarreau was toned down about 1000% from how he played at UMASS. His role on the team was to break down the defense and get to the hole.
How will he play as a starter, not sure, but prepare for this team not look or play like the previous. We will be winning in different ways.

1 Like

Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

2 Likes

A guy like him you have to give some freedom to make mistakes and learn.
I did not see turnovers being a major problem.

1 Like

I like Jarreaux’s athleticism. He is fearless going to the basket and he can bend his body in ways that make yoga instructors envious. However, turnovers are a problem for him at the PG spot. He cannot use his cross-over dribble and first step/slide step to the basket on every player defending him. Late in the year, defenders gave him space and took away the cross-over. He must develop an outside shot and a secondary move to get himself free in space as he motors to the basket. He can do it. The Good Lord has given him immense talent. Those in the know say that Mills will blow us away with his natural talent and the ease with which he can score with the basketball. I keep saying, Yeah, right. There is a transition for all kids moving from HS to D-I men’s college basketball. In response, the AAU gang says, Mills will need no transition period. We’ll see.

Go Coogs. Peace.

2 Likes

Two huge things Mills has going for him if he does have a special natural talent.

1. Arriving in January and getting to learn the system while experiencing the culture.
  2. Is he arrived early enough to get to spend every day in practice matching up with GRob Jr and Corey Davis before they moved on to the next level.

Also excited to see Sasser. If we can replace Davis’s great shooting with three guys who can fill it up then we can keep this thing rolling.

2 Likes

Mills will need some time to get accustomed to the college game, but I’m glad he enrolled early. He’s going to have had a semester of being guarded by Galen Robinson and Corey Davis in practice, which means he’ll be much further along than if he had joined the team in June.

1 Like

More importantly is that he spent semester learning how Sampson wants defense played.

1 Like

Good news is the 6-3 guy is our leading rebounder :sunglasses:

1 Like

Not sure if right place to put this. Anyone have some insight on our chances to land Tyreek Smith?

https://twitter.com/shpawdcast/status/1113453319962484737?s=21

3 Likes

Wow I think hes a guy our staff would definitely be interested in!

3 Likes

I don’t know anything about Mills’ AAU background, but he just spent an entire semester in the weight room with Coach Bishop and practicing against a Sweet 16 team with an elite defense. I think the combo of those two things significantly cuts down on his acclimation period.

Also, for some reason I’m thinking Hinton was a PG or at least a combo guard in high school. It didn’t seem to me (this year) that he has the handles to play point at the college level, but maybe that part of this game can be improved if we need depth there?

Either way, Sampson defined Sasser as a combo guard, Mills is a combo guard and Jarreau already has the handles to play the point. I think we’ll be ok at guard even with the departure of Galen and Corey.

Here’s what Sampson said about Sasser:

sasser

And lest you forget, this comment from Sampson about Mills gives me chills.

mills

2 Likes

Knowing nothing more than that article… sounds like a good forward to be going after.

Looking at the list of schools Tyreek Smith has interest in, Houston looks like a no brainer.

Expected to make an early impact as a defensive asset, Smith said schools like Houston, Kansas State, Ole Miss, Oregon and Howard University are among the schools he’s got interest in.

1 Like

I would like to see (3) gunners on the floor at all times. I think Fabian has the ability to shoot from long range, and Deeky needs to shoot shoot shoot 3s all summer long.

I expect Jarreau to work on and develop a good 3 point shot over the summer. It is what is missing in his repertoire. He has a very quick step to the basket and moves that get him past a defender pretty quick. Toward the end of the season, as someone mentioned, defenders were staying back to try and keep him from driving. When he develops a consistent outside shot he could be unstoppable.

2 Likes

An outside shot/step back would be killer! Would make him unstoppable. Get Harden in here to guest coach!

3 Likes

His problem is he doesn’t have a jump shot. Go look at footage and he shots a set shot. Great if defenders back off but worthless if his drive gets cut off. I’d be happy with a mid-range jumper and leave the 3s to our better shooter.

3 Likes

He could have been the missing piece against Kentucky down low. Put him next to Gresham and or White and we would have a big upgrade in rebounding and offensive production down low.