2019-20 Starting 5 and Rotation

jarreau is already our confirmed PG…i dont even think its a debate…
hinton will be a starter as well

mills wants to transition into being a pg in college …but he was a scoring shooting guard in hs/aau …we arent just going to give him the reins like that day one…

also this isnt directed at anybody but alot of people are sleeping on white…becuase of his injury he wasnt in basketball shape to start the season…its very obvious in game film earlier in the season, as he regularly waved himself out of the game…
white also hit the game clincher vs Utah state…white had a clear path dunk but was too tired to get up, and was essentially dying trying to run back

in the tournament he was dominant when he finally got his basketball legs back

3 Likes

What are your thoughts on Gorham and Jwan Roberts?..They look like some good filled out bodies.

Good post! For me at least!

I think Roberts could stand to gain more weight. Listed at 6’7" and 190lbs. Playing weight should end up closer to 220. I wouldn’t be surprised if he redshirts next year, as we have four bigs ahead of him and he probably doesn’t get much playing time.

1 Like

Has Sampson said that Jarreau is starting at PG?

“future point guard after galen is gone” is more the phrasing … if you want to be particular, he didnt say starting

Not aware of him naming anyone as a starter. He has talked about possibly not having Deeky but for one more season. He also expects Nate to be NBA-ready in a couple of years.

I’m sure that’s how he envisions him. But it’s possible comments like that are to motivate him too. Absent some inexplicable massive regression I have Armoni at 99.9% starting and probably have Jarreau at like 95% or something with everyone else quite a bit below those two. Jarreau has some things he needs to work on to run a team and guard the opposing PG for 30 minutes a game. It’s hard to see anyone on our roster or that we have committed displacing him and we’re not really in on any PG Jucos or transfers I’m aware of. But I’m leaving that 5% open on the off chance we get in on a Juco/grad transfer in the Galen mold or Sasser/Mills really defy expectations and we go back to the really effective way we used Jarreau this past season.

I love Jarreau. But he is a James Harden point guard where he is great in the iso. He is no Chris Paul or Galen Robinson. He is awesome at driving to the hole and dishing off to the 5. But for the offense to run through him he is going to have to develop his outside shot.

1 Like

Nothing is confirmed or on concrete on who is going to start next season. I don’t think CKS even knows lol.

gorham and white will both play 20-25 mins per game, similar minutes irregardless of who is starting…unless we play a small team having both on the floor together will be hard …
gorham, if we remove our homer glass has alot to prove , our coaches have hyped him up more than anything in his past/resume should indicate…m hoping he lives up to it

roberts will be added to our rotation of fouling defensive bigs with limited offensive capabilities …minutes will be impacted by who else is added

2 Likes

Hyped? They’ve seen him basically every day since June. Kelvin said in January that there were days after practice that he was our best player that day, that he was looking forward to having a bonafide stretch 4.

1 Like

that is the exact defintion of “hyped him”
im confused the issue

i had a convo on the aac forum about ranking the most impactful incoming transfer …i had gorham like 4th over a couple 4star guys coming into memphis, usf, tulane and ucf…on the reasoning that even though they were 4stars they werent very productive at their old school…

and a very reasonable poster questioned that and said that gorham stats at towson wasn’t anything to write home about, from a low level team, that didnt have alot of wins, and a 2star recruit…my response was always “well sampson said”…
the buzz behind gorham here is completely based around our coaches hyping him, not from anything tangible…that was my point that he has to prove him self and put something tangible out there

Nothing tangible? Too funny but what else should I expect.

i dont get the funny part…remove what Sampson said (as every coach in the nation hypes up their players, last season smu coaches said their transfer would be elite and their best player in practice, insinuating over shake milton…that wasnt reality)… what other reasons are there for us to be calling for him to be extremely good as we expect

note there is an aac player who came from the exact same conference gorham is coming from and played against him, that player won conference player of the year, doing 25pt a game (drastically better stats that gorham), he averaged 8points a game and a bench player on the aac team

and YES, i’m in the camp that believes Sampson and what he says…but that isnt tangible

Has sampson been wrong yet about a describing a player? I think maybe Kyle Meyer and that’s it but I could be wrong. So it’s safe to assume he’s gonna be right 99 times out of 100.

i agree with you, i completely believe sampson,. i dont think he coach speaks…my point was just that from the outside looking in (if you arent a houston fan that believes everything sampson says) gorham has a lot to prove on the court to merit the praise Sampson put on him, because on paper it isnt there now

1 Like

Of course he has a lot to prove, as does everyone else on the roster, especially those with zero minutes of experience.
You call it hype I call it honest observations from professionals.
I think 4 of the starters at this point are pretty obvious but really it are the finishers that really matter. Coach may decode he rather have some experience coming off the bench rather than having 2.fr playing together

I never form an opinion about a player until I have seen him play several games. Sampson is the coach, so I will graciously defer to his judgement. OTOH, Sampson usually talks about the positive side of a player.

I will say this about Jarreau, other than being a little sloppy with the ball when he leaves his feet without a plan, he SEES the floor better than anyone we have had at point guard for many a moon at UH. Jarreau reminds me a little of Rob Williams without the outside shot. Not sure he doesn’t have the outside shot because he is typically looking to take it to the hole.

Obviously we have not seen any of the new guys.

2 Likes

It seems like he has a turnover as soon as he enters, after which he usually settles down.