2019-2020

Caleb Mills will be a starter if Grimes does not get a waiver. In no world will we run a lineup of White, Gresham, and Harris on the floor at the same time.

1 Like

Pretty sure he was joking

White startsā€¦book it.

He kept us ahead in so many games with his rebounding.

1 Like

I havenā€™t seen a film of Gorham playing at Towson so I donā€™t know about him. Others on the board say heā€™s the real deal. I think based on what we saw last year, Jarreau and Hinton, and maybe Mills if CKS wants a 3 guard rotation. White because CKS said multiple times last year he was our best big, just never got in real shape because of the injury, and Gorham because I trust the people on this board who know about him. I think Gresham and/or Harris could start in certain matchup situations. Both block a lot of shots and that ally-oop pass from Jarreau to Gresham is sweet.

Jarreau and Hinton start with Grimes. If not Grimes then Mills.

Likely 4 & 5 will be White and Gresham. Though I think Gorham is the first big off the bench and we will see quite a bit of White at the 5.
Particular matchups may dictate more of Harris at the 5 Alley will be the interesting piece in how we use him and how much he has improved.

alleys improvement will be very interestingā€¦ there are no minutes for him at the 4 this coming year, he is way too small for the 5

there are a ton of minutes at the 3, if grimes isnt given a waiver likely over 20mins+ but his guards skills are nowhere good enough for the 3, last season, especially with a PG who doesnt shoot very wellā€¦

there are tons of minutest for an improved version of him, but not for what he was last season

1 Like

Iā€™m also curious about Roberts and if can play the 3 some as well. There is a lot of competition for mins so it will be interesting to see how things play out.

Hopefully Alley has improved enough to get mins. I wonder how much that hip injury affected his game. In high school he was pretty athletic the few times I saw him.

He can still get some time at the 4 and maybe some time at the 3. Occasionally some at the 5.

He can be a very good defensive players and potentially rebounder so that may still get him some time.
As much as Gresham fouled last season with our style more min open up at the 4 and 5 spots.

CKS said Grimes is sitting out. Iā€™m good with Mills. Competition only makes us better.

I guess you donā€™t follow this much. His family has filed for a waiver to play.

2 Likes

I disagree that there are ā€œnoā€ minutes for Alley at the 4 this season given that itā€™s July and the information we currently have. Depending on what kind of progress (or lack of progress) everyone makes we could see plenty of lineups with 2 out of White/Gorham/Alley on the floor at the same time. Also, weā€™ve never seen Gorham play in a Coog uniform and White has tons of promise but wasnā€™t that great last year (which I think was largely due to missing the offseason with the foot injury and my guess is that he has a big leap this year). If Alley does what he did last year with a slight improvement, but improves to a 36ish% 3pt shooter (a stretch but no more of a stretch than Galenā€™s Jr to Sr. shooting), heā€™d be extremely valuable as a 4 and would be hard to keep off the floor, especially with a PG who has the drive and kick potential Deeky has.

i agree with your 1st part. as we dont know for sure. but i have hard time not seeing gorham being good
*literally any whisper of gorham online *UH players or coach ā€œhe is soo good, yall dont know what your in forā€ the guys have hyped him up so much that i have a hard time seeing him not be good, he also gives off the most ā€œleaderā€ vibe of any of the players ive seen so far next season

if we werent so high on white i honestly think he was a shoe in for startingā€¦and white looked like the 2nd best player on the team in the ncaa tourney when he finally got in shapeā€¦not to mention ive seen some of his training videos this offseason where he is definitely expanding his game (alot of people donā€™t add he wasnt given an offseason to develop last season)ā€¦ i feel really good about gorham and whiteā€¦and i think sampson will want atleast 1 on the floor most of the gameā€¦while at the same time im not sure either are big enough to defend the 7fter at the 5 (tulane and smu are the only 2 teams without 7ftrs next season)

also we have the same goal improvements for alley for the same reasonā€¦but if he improves his shot i think he becomes a 3 for us and starts transitioning to a guard (not a 4)ā€¦ being 6ā€™5 keeping him of the court at an undersized 4 wouldnā€™t be that hard where we are stackedā€¦but as an 3 and D rebounding huge guard he would be hard not to play where every backup-guard (potential starter from waiver denial) is a freshman

1 Like

Problem with Alley last year was that his 36ish 3 pt shooting was actually 26ish. As if that wasnā€™t bad enough, 70% of the shots he took were from 3 pt line.

Maybe CKS keep telling him to shoot 3ā€™s ā€¦I donā€™t know, but IMHO, he either better improve his 3 point shootingā€¦a lot, or use his athletic body to pull it down and take it to hole !!

1 Like

In an interview with Andy Katz, CKS said our frontcourt will be the strength of our team this year where last year it was the backcourt. This interview was about 2 weeks before Armoni surprisingly (to us) declared. Who knows what CKS knew at that point.

1 Like

I donā€™t follow these guys much on twitter, but yeah, the coaches seem to be saying good things about him and I trust them. I think heā€™s going to be good, but Iā€™m tempering that with the fact that two years ago he was a solid, but unspectacular, CAA player and didnā€™t have much of a recruiting pedigree. Practice and game time are a different story as well. Before I etch 20-30 minutes a game for him in stone, I need to see him do it. And before anyone calls me a hater or whatever, I said I liked the signing of him at the time based on the stat line, measurables and limited clips I saw online when a lot of people were wondering why weā€™d use a ship for someone from Towson who has to sit a year.

As for banging with 7 footers, White, Gresham and Gorham are all pretty much the same size, even though Gresham is more athletic than the other two. Gresham and Harris both did some things well and I look forward to their continued improvement, but neither guy was good enough to say weā€™re definitively in great hands at that position. If White, Gorham, and Alley all look like they really deserve minutes, but the guards are also all really good and/or Alley canā€™t transition to wing yet and Harris and/or Gresham donā€™t improve or even regress and Roberts isnā€™t ready yet, I think it is very, very possible that we see some lineups with two of Gorham, Alley and White on the floor at the 4 and 5 at the same time.

1 Like

Yeah. Heā€™s got to improve that aspect of his game to play, no question. Iā€™m guessing he shoots much better in practice. Iā€™m not saying I expect him to make that kind of improvement, but I think itā€™s definitely possible.

Iā€™m a huge White fan. There were times when he was outmuscled underneath and he showed a ferocious intelligence in regards to court presence. I canā€™t count the number of times he snuck into a group of three defenders and came away clean with a rebound. Heā€™s not a pencil-it-in scorer but itā€™s hard to be really good at everything when you didnā€™t have an off-season and youā€™re a little undersized for your man.

Heā€™s a season smarter, a season tougher, and a season more polished. I expect great things from that guy.

8 Likes

If Alley plays great D and shoots it well from the 3 and rebounds like he did at times on the offensive end there is always time.
It will depend on matchups and foul issues. And I did say as much as we fouled we went 3 deep at center, or more.

There may be times we do not use a second center like Harris coming off the bench. In that scenario White bumps to center with Gorham at the 4. After this, Alley comes off the bench to spell White and we have Gorham and Alley as our 4 & 5. So saying Alley cannot find any min at the 4 is a little short-sighted.

Alley may have some versatility but I know he can play the 4 effective and potentially offer matchup advantages , but I am not sure if he can do that at the 3 playing a bigger wing. I will let the coaches decide if he can play that role before saying he can or cannot.

Agreed, Alley is going to see the court probably as a reserve. He hustles and plays with heart and coach loves his defenseā€¦like I said before, he could well become the leader of the teamā€¦

I see a scenario similar to last season because of our culture and every man on this team is going to work their tails off in practice so there will he natural highs and lows.
Some games Grsham will start and others Harris. Some games both will play and some games just Some games White or Gorham will play a lot at center.
Some games Alley will match up really well at the 4 with his strength on D and athleticism on O.
Some games we may still drop Hinton to the 4 and any of the above may be at center.
Some games we will see a lot of Jarreau at the point other games Mills and maybe some of Grimes. Though I look forward to the overreaction when Jarreau gets careless, makes a few bad decisions and turns over the ball. Lol

There will be quite a few lineup and rotational shifts throughout the season and I believe every active player on this roster will get time to show what they can do.
One thing I like about this team is during blowouts we will have more bodies and not be forced to play the regulars heavy minutes.

2 Likes