2019 ooc

i do not know why UH does not try and keep scheduling cusa, mountain west and mac teams. considering UH gets a hit for its conference, scheduling swac just shouldn’t happen and its on the cougars to be able to beat an ooc schedule with 2 cusa teams, AZ, tech and it’s conference schedule.

2 Likes

Because the goal is to have 3 home games OOC some years and 2 home games other years. In order to do that, you have to find schools willing to play at UH without a return game for a paycheck.

1 Like

Blame the last 2 ADs for not prioritizing scheduling and putting us in a bind these two years. Hard to get CUSA, MWC, MAC, and even Sun Belt teams for a 1 off here without paying them a lot of money.

Most of those teams also don’t want to schedule 1 home game now and 1 at their place 5 years from now. They know that cancellations happen and they’d rather just take a “bodybag” game with a P5 or fins someone else that has years closer together.

1 Like

So This PV game is new. Is all but confirmed?

Just the scuttlebutt I’ve heard. I imagine it’ll be awhile before they officially announce it; possible Pezman may be still working the phones. I’ve been hearing since the spring that we’d more than likely fill our last spot with an FCS school and this weekend I heard that it would be PVA&M.

If it’s a FCS team I’m fine with a school with local ties like PV. Them, TSU, Sam Houston st I’m fine with.

If we have to continue scheduling FCS teams, I’d put TSU, HBU and Lamar on a rotation. There’s no reason to play any FCS team located outside southeast Texas.

2 Likes

After going to the game this weekend, I’d be fully on board with making TSU our go-to FCS if we can’t get away from scheduling FCS. The atmosphere was fun (especially having their band there), their fans were nice and gracious in a blowout loss and it promotes inter-city relationships.

6 Likes

You will be pleasantly surprised with PV. That game will be fun as well. Their band is great and to be honest they have much more school pride than TSU. Their will be a lot more PV fans at the game than there was TSU

2 Likes

If we have to schedule a FCS mark me down for TSU. As far as glorified scrimmages go, I enjoyed it. They have to bring the band again, that is my only stipulation.

2 Likes

Didn’t you mean to say that they have to bring their football team along with their band?

I would rather go with a better FCS team. PV has potential I think but a perennial FCS powerhouse like SHSU or even SFA would be better in my opinion.

1 Like

I disagree. If we have to play an FCS team, why play a school that has even a remote chance of winning? Schools don’t get any more credit for beating a quality FCS program than they do for beating a SWAC bottom-feeder.

1 Like

Clearly if we lose to an FCS team, the season is shot from a playoff standpoint. I’d rather not adopt the P5 attitude toward picking opponents.

Much rather play TSU again. If the game isn’t going to help SOS then let’s play our neighbors.
#Go Coogs
#1-0
#TSUOceanofSoul

3 Likes

OU, Wazzu, and UNT in itself is already a pretty tough OOC. This might be the rare occasion an FCS school is just fine with me.

4 Likes

Hopefully UNT has a nice finish to the season they’ve started. It’s a really nice out of conference lineup. I think Prairie View would be a decent draw.

I would be in favor of either of those teams, but I don’t think they are inclined to play us, they both already play a game against each other every year in Houston I believe. Let’s just pay Rice to play us every year at TDECU.

Not fun going to a game when you absolutely know, unless the entire home team comes down with polio, that your team will annihilate the so called opposition. Just some of the excitement of going to a competition is “competition”, otherwise, just stay home and save the gas and money . . . . .

I wouldn’t pay Rice to wash my car !!