2019 Scholarship Watch

So via the roster on uhcougars.com I counted 67 players who I THINK are on scholarship. I could be wrong. You never know who’s a walkon and who isn’t. Out of the 14 signed in the early signing period, I THINK 9 are still committed. That leaves us with 76 scholarship student athletes going into the second signing period next week. Does that sound about right?

(Edit: Jim, I moved this to a new topic as it’s usually a good talking point throughout the year. - PR)

Jimmy, this is from last year’s media guide in regards to scholarship players:

Among those listed as walk-ons:

• Deontay Anderson counts against this year’s class
  • Josh Burrell received a scholarship before the season and after the guide was posted
  • Patrick Carr received a scholarship before the season and after the guide was posted
  • Quinten Dormady counts against this year’s class (grad-transferred out)
  • Caden Novikoff received a scholarship before the season and after the guide was posted (graduated)
  • Raelon Singleton counts against this year’s class (graduated)
  • Nick Watkins counts against this year’s class (graduated)
  • Nick Wildeberger received a scholarship before the season and after the guide was posted
  • Terence Williams counts against this year’s class (graduated)

Right now, with the 6 scholarship players they announced this week, I have us at 69 scholarship players on the official roster.

With 8 more still signed to NLIs, that puts us at 77 total.

We can still give out 6 scholarships for the class of 2019 (assuming all the NLI signees stay) which can get us to 83 if we use them all.

5 Likes

Thanks Patrick. As with a lot of things w/ the NCAA, I don’t get their math. If we have 77 scholarships so far, wouldn’t we have 8 to give, for a total of 85? I know it’s something about certain players from last year counting towards this years class?

1 Like

That still puts us at 2 under the limit of 85. Maybe a couple more walk-ons will get a scholly.

2 Likes

There are 2 different scholarship limits. Teams can give out up to 25 per year and can only have a total of 85 on the roster at any given time. If Pat’s math is right (and I’ll assume it is because he’s rarely wrong), we only have 6 more to give out this year to reach the max of 25 per year, even though that would still leave us short of the 85 total max.

2 Likes

As @red80 pointed out, we can give a couple of walk-ons scholarships to get to the 85 scholarship limit.

However, as @2002coog pointed out, we’re only allowed to give out 25 each year to incoming players. Because we used 5 of this year’s scholarships on transfer players from last year, we only had 20 to give towards this year’s class.

Technically, we could bring in a couple of transfers this year and count them towards next year’s class and hit the 85 limit as well. However, unless CDH finds a huge number of top recruits that want to sign up prior to signing day, it’s likely he would rather want the full 25 to give out next year after he identifies where we need help.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1108123648894926848

2 Likes

Sophomore CB Shaun Lewis and Sophomore TE Shane Creamer were put on scholarship yesterday.

Lewis was a special teams mainstay as a redshirt freshman and impressed coaches with his work ethic and hustle. New staff likes him a lot and he should be in the mix at CB. Originally from Westfield where he played WR/FS.

Creamer played in 3 games last season as a redshirt freshman, but saw a lot of time in the Spring Game and has impressed the new coaching staff with his work ethic and abilities. He should see time on the field in this offense. Creamer is originally out of Del Rio and was a 6A All-State Team Honorable Mention.

5 Likes