2021 Bracketology

https://twitter.com/CBBonFOX/status/1343634450656063488

I think that bracket is stupid. If he is looking at the polls today we should be a 2 seed not 3. If he thinks this is what March Madness bracket will be, Baylor and Kansas have to play each other twice so I doubt both will be one seeds. Also, both of those teams have to play Texas twice and they have Texas as a 2 seed.
:thinking:
Something has to give.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/ESPNLunardi/status/1343954417985462272?s=19

I like that bracket…except I think a Sweet 16 game against West Virginia would be pretty salty. Although, at this point, I’d just be happy to be back in the Sweet 16 against anyone. I like our chances.

Just realized we have never lost an Elite 8 game

2 Likes

South Region:

No. 1 Baylor vs. No. 16 Bryant/Saint Peter’s
No. 8 Xavier vs. No. 9 Arkansas

No. 4 Ohio State vs. No. 13 Winthrop
No. 5 Oregon vs. No. 12 Drake

No. 3 Illinois vs. No. 14 Liberty
No. 6 Florida vs. No. 11 Maryland/Connecticut

No. 2 Houston vs. No. 15 Belmont
No. 7 North Carolina vs. No. 10 LSU

Stock Up: Houston Cougars (7-1, KenPom: 8)

Very similar to what Chris Beard has built at Texas Tech, Kelvin Sampson has turned Houston into a transfer portal all-star team of guys who are fully invested on defense.

Five of the eight players who lead Houston in minutes played began their college careers elsewhere. Former Kansas transfer Quentin Grimes is the biggest star of the bunch, but there’s also DeJon Jarreau and Brison Gresham from Massachusetts, Justin Gorham from Towson and Reggie Chaney from Arkansas. All five play a key role for an aggressive defense allowing 55.9 points per game.

And Sampson’s guys did it even better than Beard’s when they went head-to-head in late November. Houston racked up 11 steals in that game and led by as many as 20 points in the second half before the Red Raiders at least made things a little respectable down the stretch.

Houston’s dream of an undefeated season went up in flames in a last-second loss at Tulsa on Tuesday night. Actually, it was a last-tenth-of-a-second loss in a wild finish. But in spite of that heartbreaking result, the Cougars are still in good shape for what would be their highest tournament seed since 1984. We expected them to be the best team in the AAC, but we didn’t think they’d be this good.

2 Likes

Bracket Matrix updated their list on 1/1.

UH #2 seed…right behind The Evil Empire.

Update: 1/4/21

Sagarin- 4 (6) up 2 spots

Kenpom- 9 (8) down 1 spot

BPI- 7 (9) up 2 spots

Torvik- 7

NET- 8

8 in NET

2 Likes

Update: 1/7/21

Kenpom: 10 (9) down 1 spot

Sagarin: 6 (4) down 2 spots

BPI: 8 (7) down 1 spot

Torvik: 9 (7) down 2 spots

NET: 5 (7) up 2 spots

2 Likes

What moves these numbers? Is it margin of victory?

So we win but our ratings go down lol

They all use there own algorithms which is why its confusing. Here is a breakdown of the NET

In Ken Pom we weren’t as efficient per possession is the simplest way of explaining it.

2 Likes

All pretty marginal moves. Feels great to nitpick whether UH is #6 or 7 in the country.

5 Likes

For Net, won’t UH have a hard time gaining any ground from this point since they have played most of their difficult AAC road games already?

1 Like

Seems like it will be difficult for UH to move the needle up with the remaining schedule.

we can still move up… half the equation is efficiency… worse opponents means better efficiency

https://twitter.com/CBBonFOX/status/1347288310956191744

3 Likes

Is @ Wichita State our last chance at a Q1 win the rest of the year?