2021 MLB Draft

I used to go watch Cruz Jr and Berkman when they played at Rice with my Pop… I gave away all of my Rice and UT gear when I started school at the UofH!

I saw that Bregman was over there giving them hitting tips the other day. With the Cruz’s close ties to the Astros, that could be another big recruiting tool for them. More and more, I’m getting depressed about the state of UH baseball. :joy:

1 Like

Wait Bregman was over at Rice giving tips on Hitting ?? :flushed:

1 Like

Yep. I saw it on someone’s twitter account. I’ll try and find it.

1 Like

Why the heck would he be over there instead of over at HBU building his program. Maybe he’s still trying to get that job or just be 3rd base Coach :laughing::rofl:. That doesn’t seem right! :thinking:

Alex Bregman. Third base. Astros. Not Berkman.
https://twitter.com/cruz22/status/1415477685728555010

1 Like

Ohh thst makes more sense. I even typed Bregman but thought u meant Berkman. I was scratching my head. Yep, I can see that happening. Daddy Cruz gonna be sending them over there left/right. Correa will be next then …
Great publicity for Rice unfortunately.

They also have Cruz baseball that is run with Jose’s brother Enrique, which develops young players in Houston. They have a whole pipeline set up now.

1 Like

Any talent that comes out of Bellaire , Lamar, Memorial H.S , I feel Rice is abt to put a Cap on it n get the ones they want. Like back in 90s. :unamused::roll_eyes:.

Edit: I live in Cypress n there is tremendous talent that comes out of these schools and CTW just doesn’t hit these schools hard enough. Takes lot of work. CyRanch is loaded every year-- just had 2 drafted from 2015–18 Teams both went in 1st rd after attending SHSU, UT respectively. A 3rd player from those yrs went in 1st rd previously.
Ohh well.

2 Likes

Wait… wasn’t that a tire commercial years ago? “Goodrich, Goodyear. You get confused. Some people even go to Goodyear for Goodrich tires!” :laughing:

1 Like

Ouch! College seniors have no leverage. Lael Lockhart’s draft pick value was $149.80k. He only got $2.50k. Pick #184 was worth $263.70k but he only got $1.00k.

Damn… I got way better sign on bonuses coming out of college being recruited as an EE.

1 Like

Yes Sir, why you go after JR if drafted, zero leverage after that. I know some like to disparage JUCO but TX, FL and CA is loaded with top level talent

Considering Bregman is an LSU Tiger I’m surprised he’s helping Rice…

Don’t see any conflict there. Several reasons he prob went to help, always wants to be around the game, knows Cruz Jr through Cruz Sr, several Astros players live in the West U area, so very close drive. He makes well known his affection for his LSU Tigers. Win/Win!

1 Like

Rice win more like it…

1 Like

I don’t think he looks at it that way. He just loves the game and wants to be around it and give back. He has a swing critique video that he does on youtube where kids up to high school send in their swings and he gives them tips. He has gone to Skeeters games and been with their players in their clubhouse during his rehab. I don’t think it’s about LSU-Rice competition to him. Plus, James Harden went to ASU but was always around UH. Same kind of thing.

1 Like

Then maybe he will visit UH and help our hitters….

1 Like

Whitting needs to make some calls. I wouldn’t be surprised if he did.

1 Like

He probably wouldn’t want to considering his last interaction with UHBB was when the Coogs ended his 2014 season at lsu’s regional. :grinning:

1 Like