50 years later: UT v UH, The Wishbone, Integration and a Tie that Binds

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

My wife and I attended that game.

Awesome!

2 Likes

I was there right on the goal. Gipson scores easily, but you could see the $100 bills sticking out of the pocket of the one linesman who claimed he didn’t.

Nothing has changed.

If UH won, there might have been referees floating face down in the Colorado.

By the by, IMHO, DKR was one of the most overrated coaches in college football.

There was a reason he retired early in 1976, UH entry (competition), but actually because of the (at that time) 30 scholarship limit. He knew he would be exposed !!

2 Likes

Chris Gilbert graduated from spring branch high school. For what it’s worth…

1 Like

I was there as well=2 schools where I thing the refs were extremely biased for the home team and were not going to let them lose - Texas and Alabama. Hopefully the reply system solves most of the issue but not always- replay official would not overturn a call that would of given USC 2 points against Texas (USC was ahead at that time) but it wouldn’t have mattered much in the long run because in my view they weren’t real good.

1 Like

I was there and was the second person in line for tickets in a line that started at noon on Thursday for ticket opening at 8 am the next day. Line went up both sides of Cullen.

1 Like

To all you guys that were there…were UT fans jerks back then…!!!

1 Like

No…just their usual state of arrogance !!

1 Like

Enjoyed a trip back in time. We were sitting on the goal line where the controversial play took place. My observations on forth down were these . . . . . The official picked up the football, stood up, looked across the field. It appeared to me he was checking to see where the first down marker was, then stepped back toward the 5 yard line just enough to place the ball down and signal 1st down Texas . . . . . I don’t think TD was ever considered . . . . .

1 Like

One year, I watched a receiver run out of bounds, then back in and catch a TD pass. Officials were blind to any infraction UT committed . . . . .

1 Like

I saw that also.

But, we could go on and on about happenings in Austin and Collie Station.

1 Like

I was there on the 50 yard line. Don’t remember how I got such good seats. Wish I could see a replay of that game but alas that is not to be.

1 Like

All film of that game was ordered to be destroyed.

2 Likes

Damn…that sucks.
My recall is that the Coogs could have spanked the Teasips if not for the dreaded turnover bug that plagued the Yeoman teams of the late 60’s. It’s a crying shame that the younger fans here didn’t get to see how very magical those teams were.

1 Like