AAC Commissioner: 'No Medical Reason at This Point for Not Playing'

https://www.radio.com/sports/ncaa-football/aac-commissioner-no-medical-reason-to-not-playing

“We think there’s a reason to keep moving for now , to see, our medical people don’t feel that anything has changed in recent days to prompt a decision like this that comes kind of suddenly and frankly comes a month-and-a-half or so prior to when a couple of the conferences are even gonna play first game,” he said. “We’ve looked at the data from our counties, and with a few upticks every now and then, there’s been a steady decline of cases in all our counties. Whether its Dallas county, Houston county or whether it’s Florida or whether it’s other places there’s been a steady decline – and over a two-week period a significant percentage decline – so even there, things with the virus are moving in the right direction.”

3 Likes

What team is in Houston county??

1 Like

Well no one knows where Harris County is so he made it relative.

1 Like

Crockett Bulldogs

4 Likes

1 Like

And when have we ever been pleased with what Aresco announces?

Huge opportunity for the AAC. Let’s hope we take advantage

Who are his “medical people”?

Why are they speaking different then all other “medical people”?

2 Likes

What “all other medical people”? I don’t think I have seen any that weighed the pros and cons for football players participating in their sport.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/youth-sports.html

That gives guidelines to follow when playing sports, not to cancel them. Thanks.

PS. It also does not weigh in on college factors with team doctors and weekly test available for players when playing.

It also gives risk factors:

• Highest Risk : Full competition between teams from different geographic areas.
2 Likes

After Michael Ojo’s deaths, the conference may want to put in a plan on holding out players who get the virus for longer or not letting them play again this season. I believe that event is the reason some of these other conferences freaked out. A player dropping dead on the field is not good press.

1 Like

Love the commish’s can do, make it happen attitude. Worst case scenario they can just back it up to the spring. Right now it looks like the B1G is out there by themselves with several of their universities looking for other conferences to have them for a year. The PAC may pull the plug, but the others appear to be looking to play and back off if challenges force them to delay.

I’m sure OU and UT are not too happy with letting Ohio State, Michigan and/or Penn State compete for the Big 12 conference championship.

I’m definitely sold on the idea that these guys probably are safer in a monitored environment playing vs. just going home for the semester or being on campus without the structure of football, but I agree with this. Or at the very least they need to have heart workups showing no issues after recovering from COVID before getting back on the field.

2 Likes

Lovelady Lions, my grandparents’ high school

We passed through there at the end of February on our way to Mission Tejas State Park. Really beautiful part of the piney woods.

I have a feeling they would get over it quick with a new one year TV contract that included Ohio St and Michigan, plus possible extra payout from providing content on the Big 10 network as a potential joint operation.

The article does not contradict the original post topic. It also does not focus on college sports about safer to play with a medical staff overlooking the players vs turning them loose as a general college student with less oversight… Also does not say that the situation warrants a change in decisions based on the last two weeks.