According to Chance Allen

Herman outright lied to his players:

That’s true.

He was respectfully with them as their head coach through the end of the regular season.

At the time that was said, he probably wasn’t negotiating with anyone.

Coach is teaching the guys a life lesson they will learn moving forward. At the end of the day be about your money, look out for yourself, speak your words carefully, have a fine ear for the art of subtle deceptive speech, and that commitments have contractual expiration dates - respect those at all cost.

That’s the way the world is. When those players graduate and look for coaching jobs, they’re free to start anywhere they want not all apply as GA’S for UH

I am not really sure what your point is. This was Nov 25th, the day of the game. But if you think character is only about the letter of the law, and life is only about looking out for yourself while telling people to do it for the guy next to you — then you and I have a different definition of character.

Deception is not limited to the words you parse/speak.

8 Likes

Just imagine the kids who were invited to Thanksgiving dinners with the coaches that are now leaving. Could you imagine breaking bread with the person that tells you how much you are like a family and they know they are about to leave? The chances of those coaches not knowing Herman was about to announce his deal are near zero.

This was a cruddy deal all the way around. Completely not right to let those kids feel the support then jerk the rug out from under them in less than 48 hours.

1 Like

Well I never established a definition of “character”.

My point is, there is a real world out there. 10 to 20 years down the line these young men will face challenges as far as dealing with people.

It’s a hard unfortunate lesson to learn but you take it, build from it, and become a more strong and independent human being.

Sure these young men will face those challenges, but how often will their bosses tell them they love them, kiss them on the cheek, then crush them? Unless these boys are headed to the mafia, it’s not likely to happen in the workforce.

2 Likes

Of course it’s a tough world out there. You don’t need to help it along by being fake and disingenuous. So your take on it is he taught them a good lesson to distrust and expect the worst?

No thanks. Not the world I live in and it serves me well. Obviously we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

2 Likes

I can see @ccl’s point in that this is a lesson that these kids can learn.

Then again, most of these kids aren’t entitled so they probably didn’t need to learn that lesson. Certainly didn’t need to have it shoved on them the way it was.

3 Likes

LoL.

Tom still loves those guys I’m sure.

But it’s a business and losing games at UT is better than losing conference road games in the AAC.

Have any one of you guys thought about it the other way round?

How much love was shown back toward Tom from a team that let’s face it, was talented enough to run the table and be in the playoff run?

Chance fumbles a ball in Dallas that sets the negative tone early. Memphis game looked as if the defense contributed $10 a piece in a pot and bet the whole thing on who gets the most missed tackles.

Herman ’ s frustration and personal preference toward coaching P5 was illustrated best when he mentioned after the navy loss that UH doesn’t have much depth to win playing their C game on the road when the opponent is playing their A game.

When you compare this team to the 2011 squad it’s almost night and day and this team had morale boosting wins vs. Louisville (2015), fsu, and OU whereas 2011 gained strength from an improbable come from behind road win at La. Tech.

You start each game flexing your superior talent and training in all three aspects. Put your opponent down early or find ways during those pockets within the game to thrust ahead. I felt at navy during the latter portion of the 2nd quarter after two defensive stops and an opening of the second half the offensive players should have put points on the board, thrust ahead, and have navy change offensive game planning. That’s what the 2011 team would do. The team that exemplified UH football at its best. You use that as a barometer and these players failed to reach that.

The kids weren’t looking for a new place to play, but there was a coach looking for a step up. That’s why I don’t have the same vision.

Not to distrust and expect the worst but be more open minded and analyze the next man’s personal incentives.

Be more attentive.

Tom to his best ability gave respect to the 2016 regular season.

Here’s a funny thing. Tom, even last year gives so much credit and distinction to the senior classes. Why is that? He feels that they are due the utmost respect.

This year’s class had a chance to set their mark with a 10 win season and TH did his best not to distract that. As for this year’s class, he bolted early enough to bring in a new hire as early as possible so 20 17 ’ s senior class can have as much time establishing their identity in the off season. That and getting a leg up on recruiting.

Hearing that Farrow was brought in to calm the masses before the meeting does not bode well for CTH. If the kids were going to be so understanding, there would be no need to bring last year’s captain back to soothe the players before CTH confirmed what he had denied for weeks.

Ayers was looking for a new place to play despite accomplishing something he probably never saw happening with the peach bowl victory.

Ayers bailed on his fellow senior classmen including GW3 for a career step up.

I never said they were going to be understanding they shouldn’t be.

Farrow with his nearly one year or real world/nfl exposure was probably a really good move.

Did Ayers spend an entire season denying the rumors? Did he send the captain’s in and tell them to dispel any rumors?
I’m sorry, there’s a big difference there.

We’re going to have to agree that we are on opposite sides on this one.

And it’s not just current players that were crushed. How about those recruits? They may have issues…unless he wasn’t recruiting all that hard because he knew he was outta here.

All of this falls on CTH. He’s the head coach. If the kids aren’t playing well, it’s his job to bench them for someone who will do the job. To put this off on the kids as if they gave up on him and that’s why he left is disingenuous at best.

2011 team was a senior-heavy team; this team was not. Same goes for last year’s team compared to this year’s team. May explain some of the mistakes this year and the difficulty in leadership.

Another difference between the 2011 & 2015 teams and this team was both of those teams didn’t have the physical grind that this year’s schedule was. We didn’t lose our playoff run at Navy, we lost it when the schedule came out and had to play 4 games in 19 days and no bye until after week 8. Throw in a grueling training camp and these kids were on edge, tired, and struggling.

I don’t doubt that in Herman’s mind, Herman loved those players, but he did not put them in the best position as a coach and continued to grind on them past their breaking points. A good leader should know what that point is and shift tactics; Herman did not, instead sticking to the same bruising schedule throughout. Sign of a young coach with little experience.

The ending was complete BS. I get your point that it teaches these kids a lesson, but he was not put in that position, or getting paid, to teach that lesson. I get jumping at opportunities, but he handled it terribly; again, a sign of being young and having no experience.

2 Likes

Ayers didn’t draw that much attention. However several players with more legit nfl whispers hush off and re-directed the rumors all the time in favor of the team’s cohesiveness and not to be a distraction.

What else could Tom do? “No comment” “no comment” …these kids are emotionally volatile enough to lay a stinker at navy upon hearing news that the big 12 rejected them how much more a coach saying “we will discuss all that in the off season”…these guys would have dropped every last game of the season including an embarrassment on Thursday night vs. UL.

He cannot comment on a job being held by Charlie Strong.

I’d take a nationally televised win over UL and a carpetbagging b***h move by the coach at seasons end vs. The entire program and fans being emotionally checked out with 4/5 games left in the season