AD's Role re: FB Coaching Staff

We don’t want to tank our program like Nebraska did in firing Solich.

2 Likes

This is my other alma mater. Solich had some personal issues, but agree, it was bad. However, it looks like Frost from UCF might be making his way there next year.

I was stationed in Nebraska when they fired Solich; folks just wanted him gone because he wasn’t Osborne and couldn’t get them back to the national title. Think most thought they’d bring in a top coach.

Then they brought in Bill Callahan and the “uh-ohs” started. Haven’t really stopped since.

Like many others have said in this thread, there’s no way after one season this staff will be fired for on field results. You don’t have to love the results, just don’t get emotionally invested in serious change happening 1 year in

4 Likes

You sir are correct. There is no way we can afford to buy out the contracts after 1 year, Applewhite will get 3 years but the assistants are on the hook now.

I don’t think there is anyway at this point that CMA can avoid at the least demoting Johnson to QB coach only regardless of what happens to the end of the year. All the Assistants are on 2-yr deals. Yep… Found it!

University of Houston offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Brian Johnson will earn $440,000 annually, according to details obtained by the Houston Chronicle through an open records request.

Johnson, who joined new head coach Major Applewhite’s staff after spending the past three seasons at Mississippi State, received a two-year deal that runs through Feb. 28, 2019. The contract includes incentives based on wins and postseason appearances.

He gets $440k for this crap we are having to watch!! He should be paying me!

I hope we bounce back against Memphis but make no mistake, the Tulsa game was another ‘signature loss’ alongside Texas State, Tulane and SMU (2016). We are that bad. The team has not played consistently well since the end of September 2016 and has not had a good game since Louisville. Herman was gone as soon as the Peach Bowl ended. We need the AD to step up and Tillman to back off when it comes to coaching hires.

1 Like

What makes you think the hiring wpuld have been different or better if that happened?

The coaching staff may not change, but they certainly should know that we are not happy with their performance. I was at the coaches show and everyone was still very positive. I get it it though. They still have a chance to turn it around and we have to be candid at the show. However, if we do not start seeing results, the coach will start getting asked the hard questions from the fans.

1 Like

Turn it around? This is no different than what we saw from Applewhite last season except we had Gary Ward and better receivers. No, this is what we get this season, the Apple Turnover Offense.

1 Like

Lol The sky is falling.

2 Likes

What specifically is our WR coach doing wrong? Asking for a friend.

the WR blocking ability is terrible. Also our young WRs haven’t progressed, although some of that may be due to coaching changes.

1 Like

I don’t know if its lack of ability, because Bonner, and Dunbar to a lesser extent, have both demonstrated that they CAN block very effectively. Not so much this year though and not exactly sure what to chalk that up to.

2 Likes

To me it goes back to scheme and what the coaches are asking of the players. In the case of WR, we have to admit that our receivers are NFL caliber Possession receivers (even though lately, they have forgotten their gloves…). When I look at our offense, the coaches are asking our receivers to be burners; which they’re not. They are strong in crossing routes short -mid range slants. See the last two years with GW. (Though they might not have been designed cross routes). Anyway, how many of us here have talked about this exact issue. Predictable play selection, in the coaches in ability to adjust to the player’s ability. We have good receivers for another system. Heck I don’t even know what our current system is. I pulled out my madden 2009 and Madden still has given me more creative options. haha

How could it have not been better?

Yuracheck made have made the same choice we have now, without Tilman’s involvement. It could have been the same, at the very least.

You are just speculating. You have no real insight or idea. Troll.

No different than what you were doing.

Troll.