AJ Ricker - new OL coach?

You guys are professionals at getting lost in the weeds. I’d put you up against my wife…who would argue I am worse at it.

3 Likes

Why is Applewhite “arguably?” I’m really wondering. He was an OC at Rice, Bama, and Texas.

No kidding.

But can you prove it’s the weeds? It could just be really tall grass.

2 Likes

Not arguable that he was a prior OC,

Some would argue he wasn’t one of our best coordinators.

What I find ridiculous about this argument is Applewhite was our OC in 2015. You know… when we won the Peach Bowl and went 13-1. He was also our OC when we beat OU and Louisville. He is the coordinator that got us a conference championship and a NY6 bowl victory. Even if you don’t like the offense we ran because it was run oriented, he has already stated it is not his offense, it was Herman’s. So… not buying in to this argument of Applewhite is a boring offense. If it is boring, then I guess boring wins championships.

3 Likes

I’m with you boss, but there are some who don’t agree. Where as most argree that Holgo and Orlando were amazing coordinators, there isn’t the consensus for Major. That’s all I was saying. My overall point still rings true, our most successful coaches have not had HC experience but our most successful coordinators had coordinator experience.

1 Like

100% agree.

I find it ironic that you blast Duarte 5 days ago for saying several players went through 4 coaching changes and then you post that as if it is something even remotely official and not just your personal wishlist.

I find it ironic that I did not blast Duarte, but you think I did.

I specifically blasted the misleading headline, and noted that Duarte is not responsible for headlines.

Well isn’t “so the staff is shaping up as” misleading if a majority on the list have not been mentioned by Applewhite nor Yurachek that they have been hired?

Remember how much we liked Gibbs and now he defense is getting its collective stool pushed in at TT. Maybe Stewart has learned some D since he has been gone.

Footballscoop.com reporting AJ Blum and AJ Ricker to join Houston staff. Not new news, but nice to see it confirmed.

1 Like

Anybody have some intel in AJ Blum?

I think football scoop has just released a blurb saying the he & AJ Blum from Westfield will be part of Majors staff…Ooops

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Blum’s been the DC at Westfield since 2009, Ed Oliver’s school and a school that routinely produces interior DLinemen. Their next one is 4* Keondre Coburn, who the COOGS are chasing.

Here’s a link to a UT site article that did a profile of Westfield back in 2012: Inside Texas Home | On3.com

1 Like

I thought Stewart was solid the last time around…but then Gibbs brought the turnover machine and Orlando brought the blitzes. Going back with Stewart would be okay by me but I thought I saw somewhere he already makes over $1M per year to only coach DBs. And I do not know how we would feel about returning to the school that passed on him as HC the last time around…

Coach Blum was my coach at Klein Forest my sophomore year of high school. All I can tell you is that he’s a great coach and a great person. Obviously he helped develop Ed Oliver but we’re getting a genuinely great guy for our DL. Can’t spread more highly of him

5 Likes

Am I the only one scratching his head that an O-Line coach with no apparent ties to the state of Texas is leaving Illinois to take the same position at UH?

1 Like

Reportedly, A.J. Ricker is a '99 Graduate of Klein High School.

1 Like