Allen vs Postma

I was told in the summer that king was pushing Allen. That was before king was hurt. King should start and I believe gives us the best shot.

1 Like

Happy to read CMA s comments this morning that Postma and King are going to be considered for starting, based on how they practice this week.It is an open field now.

2 Likes

King as a high school qb was 36/6 over a three year period. I say play King he is a winner.

3 Likes

It is clear Allen is not a good fit for our offense. I don’t think it is possible to change the whole offense 3 games in so I am for a change at QB. But, for Postma, I am not sold. If the Tech CB makes a better break on the ball, his first pass is a pick 6
 Also if we weren’t in 4 down mode, the first drive ends up a 3 and out. I would be cool with King getting the start to see what he has.

1 Like

With Allen there s no ‘option’ in a read-option offense. For this offense to work the QB needs to be a threat to run the ball or it’s to easy to defend. I’d be fine with Postma but I’m curious to see what King can do.

3 Likes

Snaps were low most of the game so QB zone read plays didn’t seem to really have a chance for any post-snap read. But agree that it is poor fit for Allen given that he has only kept the ball a couple times in 3 games.

People seems to forget that not only did we have a bad offensive line in that game Postma started we also had our two running backs out injury. Case been lucky with that game against Ucon everybody brings up.

I understand you not being sold. But Potma did a hell of a job in the situation into which he was dropped.
First pass was very dangerous. I agree.
And it was four down time. But you can make the argument that he was tossed into the pressure cooker. And he converted a 4th and 6 with his feet. Allen could not have done that (or would not have).
Postma also had no advantage of play action, or even a set running play. So TT knew her was going to pass. And he went deep often. The deeper routes also opened up running lanes he, and not Allen, could take advantage of.
Lastly, he got UH two TDs in the last 4:32. Had we not fumbled the PR I think we win this one.

And lastly, what the hell! Our PK can’t get the ball 10 yards on an onside kick? Shouldn’t the last thing a Special Teams Coach say is: Make sure it goes TEN yards!

You’re right. Would’ve been very difficult to win or even tie if we had recovered the onside kick, but we have to give ourselves a chance. We got too cute with it. Roy took an odd angle and had to basically kick across his body. Gotta at least put the ball in play. Best to hope for a high bounce with time to get under the ball, or for the receiving team to bobble it under the chaos. Odds of recovering aren’t good if the ball goes 10 yards, but odds of recovering if the ball doesn’t go 10 yards are zero.

Actually he did what he was suppose to do. He put a ton of spin on it. Unfortunately he did such a great job it was coming back before it got to the 10 yard line. Nothing cute about it.

Dude, the majority of recovered onside kicks aren’t because of spin. They are because of a high second or third bounce.

I don’t put this on Roy either. I’m sure he was told to act like he was going to the right and pull it across his body to his left.

Speaking of spin
that’s pretty good spin for a poor kick. Are you in sales?

1 Like

As good as I am with spin, it would be impossible for me to turn your idea of playing 4 P5 teams on the road every year as a good idea.

2 Likes

Postman past was almost a pick 6 I wonder how everyone would feel about him if that pass would have gone for a pick 6?

3 Likes

We have faith in you shaggy. Nobody is doubting you (as far as you know). Make it happen.

Why should you doubt me? I was pretty much alone on an island when I said that our defensive backfield will be just fine and we will hold Tech under 30 points.

1 Like

Postma does appear to be better in the pressure situations where we need big comebacks. Probably because they just let him play a little more. I give him a lot of credit for the Memphis comeback, but Tech was playing so soft I can’t take much away from this other than what was pretty obvious before, a QB who can run is best for us.

In 2015 we feasted on QB power runs but less so last year with weaker OL, no Farrow, and a less healthy Ward. Would love to see that ability back in the O.

1 Like

Postma should have gone into the game in the middle of the 3rd quarter. We win the game if the coaches make that obvious call. After the game I was pretty pissed off about the decision to keep Allen in there, and my mood has not changed. It’s not like Applewhite didn’t know what Postma was capable of, he’s been coaching him for 2 plus years, and Allen looked terrible
he missed throw after throw that would of led to first downs.
It’s a no brainer, Allen should be the back up the rest of the season.
That Tech team was not impressive - with Postma we win by 20 points.

1 Like

Our Coach makes the decisions not me not you or anybody else. After a couple of days thinking about the three games that he played I came to the conclusion that Kyle can’t step up to the next level. It pains me to write it but unfortunately he failed at atm for the same reasons. Kyle is not a freshman and we are not here to see him develop. The offense is obviously not a good match for his natural abilities. This is not Spring or training camp. Our program has to win today. Our recruiting depends on it. I will add that the discussions that took place in the off season (had to take place) makes me perplexed. It is time for Postma to get his chance. King is our next man up. In case Allen starts again this will be a major psychological blow to the entire Team.
Unless Postma has a bad week I expect him to be at the helm.

1 Like