Anitta martine

ON ANOTHER POST WE TALKED ABOUT UH HISTORY AND GOT
SEVERALL COMMENTS. MOST OF YOU MOST LIKELY HAVE NO
KNOWEDGE OF ANITTA. SHE HAD A TV PROGRAM ON CHAN 2
EVER SUNDAY NIGHT AT 6. WE BEGAN TO TALK BACK IN THE
DAY AND SHE WAS VERY INTERESTING LADY. FROM GALVESTON.
HER SHOW WAS ABOUT THE TIME OF DARLE SHEPPARD AND
WHAT HAPPENED TO UH. WE USE TO VISIT AND SHE BECAME
AWARE OF THIS RB IN SOUTH TEXAS THAT SIGNED WITH UT.
VERY BIG RECRUIT THAT HAD OFFERS FROM LSU, ND. OK
MICH, AND ETC. AT THE LAST HOUR HE SIGNS WITH UT AND
BIG SUPRISE.(I USE TO REMEMBER HIS NAME, JUST CAME TO
ME, IVERY SUBER) HE SHOWS UP IN AUSTIN IN A NICE NEW
SPORTS CAR. SOME PEOPLE ASK QUESTIONS. UT INVESTIGATES
AND FINDS NO WRONG DOING) LATER COMES OUT UT ALUM
BUYS THE CAR SO THE KID WOULD GO TO UT. NCAA DOES NOT
SHOW UP. BUT ANITTA WANTED ANSWERS. IN A TAPPED INT.
WITH D. ROYAL AND UT PRESIDENT. SHE ASK ABOUT THE
DIFFERENCE IN I. SUBER AND D. SHEPARD AND KEEPS
ASKING QUESTIONS. D. ROYAL CUSHES HER OUT AS WELL
AS THE PRES. THIS IS ON TAPE. SEEMS THE TAPE GETS
LOST AND ANITTA WAS RELEAVED OF OF SHOW BY CH 2.
SHE WRITES FOR ONE OF THE PAPERS FOR A WHILE AND
GETS VERY SICK. FOUND TO HAVE BRAIN CANCER. VERY
SAD STORY. THE LAST TIME I SAW HER SHE WANTED TO
WRITE A BOOK ON THE UT PEOPLE. SHE RAN OUT OF TIME.
SHE RECOGNIZE UH AS THE UNDERDOG AND SHE LIKED
IT THAT WE ACCOPLISHED A LOT WITH VERY LITTLE.
I REALLY ADMIRED ANITTA. NICE LADY.

7 Likes

Man, to quote an old Jedi, that is a name I have not heard in a long time. I used to listen to Martine and Edmunds when sports radio was drive time on one of the AM channels. This was during the Run and Shoot era. She was definitely a Houston supporter all the way. Her interviews with Jerry Glanville were classic.

Rest In Peace

2 Likes

I was a big fan of Anita Martini and thought she was very attractive as well as very up on her sports, unlike some of the other lady sportscasters on the sidelines. She was the first woman sportswriter/sportscaster allowed into men’s locker rooms.

1 Like

I also remember listening to martini and edmunds on the radio. She was definitely the alpha of that show. Man has sports talk radio changed a lot from that era.

Yes, nice lady, good reporter, and a UH fan…

I always love hearing old UH stories. Thanks 1grayfox

She was the original berman but a little more of a homer. She hated horn. She knew the internal corruption and how it was constantly being whitewashed. If she were a generation later she would have had the power of the internet. She would have made a huge difference for us.

1 Like

Her name was Anita Martini. She was fearless.

3 Likes

I use to listen to the Martini and Edmunds show every day. Now I can hardly stand local sports talk radio.

Anita was a groundbreaker for women’s sports! She was a huge baseball fan, she had a woman (can’t think of her name right now) that used to tag along with her and get tape for her on occasion. She was a Galvestonian, her family ran the Martini theatre on the island.

Anita really liked Yeoman and Harry Fouke and she would give Guy a lot of credit as well. Anita did some TV and even hosted some regular sportscasts, did lots of interviews. The guys would give her heck in the locker room, the PR guys really had their work cut out, before a lot of interview rooms etc.

I have lots of AM stories, many I can’t tell here, but she was in our court a lot. She would also hate to see Tulsa on the schedule, you can figure that one out for many reasons.

Edmonds, hate to say we used to call him XXXX Edmonds, after the Goodyear… a big guy, he wasn’t the nicest guy sometimes but he knew his stuff, especially about baseball too. He was confined to a wheel chair most of his later life.

Houston was fortunate to have some leading sportscasters, Jerry Trupiano, Gene Elston, others to numerous to mention, people that gave their heart and soul to the business.

Even our UH basketball broadcasts were done by a Winius Brandon advertising executive, Art Casper, he made the games great on radio… Bless their little soles (shoe advertiser on the broadcast)… and Pepsi has a lot to give… he had a lot to talk about then too!

4 Likes