Apple Says It Slows Older iPhones To Save Their Battery Life | Houston Public

Kind of wish I had a choice about this instead of Apple choosing for me.

Confirming iPhone owners’ suspicions that Apple purposefully slows the operation of older phones, Apple says that it does just that — and that slowing down processors makes it easier for old batteries to perform after they’ve begun to lose capacity.

Apple is responding to owners of older phones who have increasingly said they notice slower performance after they upgrade their device’s software. The difference was highlighted in a recent Reddit post — and it was quantified in a blog post at Geekbench, the processor benchmarking company.

I avoid this by not updating the phone after the first year I’ve owned it.

I avoid this by not buying Apple

3 Likes

Knew this was coming:

A new class action suit has been filed by Stefan Bogdanovich, an L.A. man who, like millions of other people, uses an iPhone … but not an iPhone 8. He claims Apple’s tactic of slowing down older iPhone models causes users to suffer – specifically those with the 7 or 7s – and take a hit to their wallets.

Bogdanovich claims Apple’s decision to slow the operation of older phones to save battery life was never requested or agreed upon … and it lowers the value of their phones. He also believes – like many other users – that it’s just a ploy by Apple to get folks to buy the newest iPhone.

I doubt anything will come of it.

http://www.khou.com/news/nation-world/apple-apologizes-for-iphone-slowdowns-lowers-cost-of-replacement-batteries/503035293

The tech company issued a statement Thursday announcing it would lower the price of replacing an out-of-warranty battery on iPhones 6 or later-- from $79 to $29.