Applewhite

Major is like Tony in one respect, you want to believe but every time they are about to make you a believer they fall on their face.

4 Likes

I expect someone on here to blame the lack of offense for wearing down the D but in reality they allowed too many easy first downs with the soft coverage scheme resulting in a crazy high number of snaps for FSU. Exactly what Briles or Holgerson would try to do against our DL.

1 Like

So many think King is GWII, well he just isn’t and it is unfair to expect him to be. You don’t just go out and get a Greg Ward every year, he was a special player that isn’t easily replaceable. Without Ward, I highly doubt we would have gone to the Peach Bowl in 2015 or had a year much different than 2014 or 2016. King may become much better and be the guy we need; but it is hard to tell with his limited play at QB. There have been flashes of brilliance; but too often inexperience showed. Well, the only way to get experience is to keep on playing. Right now, he appears to be our best option for next year; but we have to see what develops in the Spring and fall training camps. I do hope everything is up for grabs and all positions are on the line – and I do mean all. If the guys that hold them now are better, they need to prove it every day.

Mulligan?
I have thought long and hard about this season. The way it has evolved from Harvey to this bowl game. We were out Coached against San Diego State and out Coached again against Fresno State. This is not a coincidence. Yes our depth was not good this year but I expected and expect much better. We all do. CMA had this year to evaluate and mold this group to what he envisioned. He has this coming season to win and turn around our program. The fact is our program can’t afford another bad season. Our leaders are not blind. We won’t sell tickets with a bad product. Our product is bad right now. This upcoming Spring season will be hugely important for our entire program. I expect a nine to ten wins minimum. It might not be enough. Anything else and CMA is gone period.
Our 2017 season is over. Let’s not dwell on the past. Our program needs every single one of us. I am already pumped up for Spring football.

3 Likes

I pretty much agree with you except I thought our depth was somewhat better this year. Or, at least more players were playing. The O-line really struggled for the 2nd year in a row. I wonder how much of a difference Fontana and Eloph would have made. Our line just seemed slow to the punch and unable to sustain blocks long enough.

Tight Ends. We signed two las week and if they can block, they start. Bench the rest. I saw Leslie whiff several times last night on running plays and then turn around to watch our RB get gang tackled. Pitiful. If you miss the block, hit the next guy you see but don’t rubber-neck at the damage you cause.

Last night, that #34 played like he is somebody’s #1 draft pick. We couldn’t block him at all. He’s the one that took Ed’s legs out from under him on his TD. He almost didn’t make the end zone and it got worse as the night went on. He was everywhere.

I will add that CMA has been with us since 2015/16. That means he would have been involved come Spring 2018 with his third recruiting class. This is plenty of time to rebuild our roster.

1 Like

At this point I’m not feeling very optimistic about next year unless Applewhite hires a new OC and let’s him call the plays, meaning we install a new offense. If Applewhite stubbornly sticks with the same schemes then we’re looking at another 7-5 season at best. Ironically, I think Applewhite‘s early success running this offense under Herman coupled with the win over FSU in the peach bowl will lead to his demise.

3 Likes