Bama/UGA Winner Should Have an *

This. Nothing more. Nothing less.

3 Likes

Nick Saban wants your sympathy. No, really!

8 Team Playoff

-Conference winner from each P5 conference (5)
-Top ranked G5 team (1)
-Highest ranked non-conference winners (2)

Satisfies the “you have to win your conference guy”, provides the underdog team that is critical for postseason tournaments (this is what makes March Madness so great) and also provides the ability for a conference to have multiple representatives.

3 Likes

Given the budget at Bama for extra coaches (aka special consultants) I would think Saban already had a game plan for both OU and Georgia put together.

The committee would be wise to not create this conundrum again. This has turned out as well as it possibly could for UCF as Auburn split with Georgia and beat Bama. Now if Bama wins vs. Georgia the voices they don’t want to hear just gets louder. CFP could have easily matched UCF up with Wisconsin or Miami and this wouldn’t be as big of a deal. Just another undefeated G5 team.

I think the CFP matches the G5 champ with teams that they believe are a mismatch in the trenches. Us against FSU, I’m sure they just thought Cook and the O line would run all over us. W. Michigan vs. Wisconsin ok they were right about that one. And this year Auburn. Well it backfired and they won’t make this mistake again to have this narrative.

And this is the narrative they need to concentrate on. Even with an 8 team playoff UCF would not be in it this year. We need the G5 champ to get a slot if they expand to 8. A hard sell for the P5.

To me this is the logical next move. It will take some serious fighting to get a G5 spot, but it really doesn’t take away much from the P5. Looking back the last 10 seasons using CFP and AP rankings, no one loss P5 would ever be left out. Also the lowest ranked top G5 champ during that span was actually us in 2015 as #18/14. Pretty much every year you get a G5 in the top 15 so there is not a huge gap. Gives a shot to the G5 team having a great season and lets a top P5 team have a bad week.

2 Likes

If they don’t add a spot for best G5, it won’t matter because the system is rigged to only have P5 teams. Without a G5 guarantee, you would just have 8 P5 teams making more money.

3 Likes

I don’t think the bowls would agree to that. There are enough bowls around the country that early rounds get portioned out such that fans don’t have to buy airfare, etc. to attend.