BIG playing conference only

We will not be the team from last year, much improved. I would play them.

1 Like

We won’t know for sure that we will be MUCH improved until we get on the field. On paper we should be better we will see

1 Like

BIG10 is playing for time. Cancelling OOC schedule effectively means start time for in conference play falls upon last week of September/first week of October. Gives conference more time to gauge COVID-19 impact.

The longer the pandemic continues in its current flight path, the greater the odds increasing this season will be lost or moved back to Spring. Ivy League may have it right.

1 Like

Expect other P5 conferences to do this to help fill the budget shortfall. They can wipe out their buy-a-win games and save all that cash. Further crushing the G5, being their ultimate objective.

If all the other conferences go to conference only (or maybe conference plus one like the SEC was discussing) the AAC is almost certainly going to do the same.

I’m also not sure why we’d replace games either unless needed to meet the tv contract or a scrambling team like Notre Dame offers to write a big check.

In any event, I don’t think we have football this fall anyways.

1 Like

I think if its conference only, we should redo the schedule and play a round robin season with no championship game. Conference championship should then be decided like basketball regular season champs.

As for independents, as Coach used to say, “Being independent is hard cheese.” There are 7 indy teams: Army, BYU, Liberty, New Mexico State, Notre Dame, UConn, and UMass; if they played round robin they would have a 6 game season.

I just don’t see Notre Dame as being a check-writing kind of team. What they could do is sign up to play all of the MAC teams in Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana. There would be no airplanes or very long bus rides involved. That’s 10 games and quite likely 10 wins for Old Notre Dame. And then a New Years Six Bowl Game.

Yeah, it does not exactly shake down the thunder from the sky, but its a money maker and a winner.

Big Ten Commissioner saying there may not be a season at all.

There goes our Washington State game:

I am very puzzled that schools continue to hold workouts with athletes at the college level and that UIL is opening HS back up on Monday. Every pro league in America with the best testing resources available is having out breaks and positives. It is a fool’s errand to try and continue in this manor.

2 Likes

Well it sounds like they will have their 6 games against the ACC at least.

But to schedule those MAC teams there is going to have to be a quid pro quo so they’ll need to at least write normal buy game checks to get those teams to play them.

A lot of MAC schools are losing BIG TIME pay days because the B1G dropped them.

I’m sure that they would JUMP at a chance to go to South Bend to replace that…even if it means taking a beating in a “one and done” matchup.

We’d take such a matchup as well, as I mentioned elsewhere, though I suspect that we’d give ND a better fight than any MAC school would.

1 Like

Yeah but that means ND is going to have to write those million dollar game checks for each buy game and probably not be able to sell tickets to recoup that expense. I don’t think it’s a guarantee they do that. They might just play their 6 ACC games and call it a season. Maybe they will if that’s what they need to do to get paid on their NBC deal. I’m just saying no one is lining up to help out ND just because. ND will have to pay for it to even be an option, whether with a buy game check or giving someone a future return game.

Also, like I said I really doubt our conference doesn’t follow suit if the P5s all go to this model (and I also doubt we have fall football anyways for what it’s worth).

I have an eerie feeling, this might be the way forward. They will believe that playing anything below P5 is not worth it.

2 Likes

“If the Cougars were forced to scrap their game with the rival Vandals, Idaho would be missing out on a $550,000 payday.”

I didn’t know Idaho and Washington State were Rivals. That is NEWS to me.

Yep, the Battle on the Palouse dates back to the old Pacific Coast Conference days. Moscow -> Pullman is only 8 miles.

2 Likes

If you were a TV network explain to me why exactly you would pay for a game between ND and Central Michigan.

With the exception of UHLaw nobody ever heard of the joint and nobody wants to see that mess of a game.

If you have not heard of the Central Michigan Chippewas you need to expand your horizons.

1 Like

I have heard of a Chippewa table. I am expanding.

1 Like

Good. We were going to lose that game anyway. Probably by double digits.