Big Ten Proposes 1-Time Transfer Exemption for All Athletes

It’s amazing how some people always look at the doom and gloom of every proposal.

Sorry Eight Ball but your theory has already been debunked. Even the elite programs have some of their top talent transferring out, and not necessarily going to other elite programs. Some are going to G5s and even UH has a 5 star athlete transferred from Alabama. That 5 star could have gone wherever he wanted to but he chose UH.

We have top talent but not all are transferring out to elite programs like Alabama. King transferred to Miami, definitely not the U of the 80’s. Why didn’t he go to Alabama, Ohio State, OU or, forgive me, UT? That’s a brain scratcher but that discussion is for another thread.

Athletes can transfer now and a lot of them will get waivers to play immediately so not much is going to be too different if this rule passes.

1 Like

Another step making G5s farm clubs

2 Likes

That’s funny. Only a hand full of teams have won the CFP championship so nothing will change.

Yes you have grad transfers going to different programs, totally different scenario. Those are usually fringe guys looking for a last shot to show something. I’m talking about guys with plans to head to the NFL after year 3 going to a contender for their final season.

I’d love for UH to have a super team as well, just don’t see us being on the receiving end of this plan.

It’s a plan that will benefit the haves most, at worst.

At best, it’s going to create chaos for rosters every year–a handful or two coming in, and a handful or two going out in addition to the normal attrition.

I’ve turned off the NBA for the same reasons–the players making the super teams. And, Ron, you’re wrong. Most NBA fans hate the super teams.

Most NBA fans?
So these fans who hate their super team will spend thousands of dollars to go see that team’s games and those fans at home that hate their super team is going to watch them on TV helping the NBA make billions of dollars.

If this is hate, I wonder how would fans express love?

More like most NBA fans hate everyone else’s super teams. Not to mention most fans don’t have a super teams to support.

And, I hate what the P5 and CFP have become but still spend a lot of money on UH football.

Doesn’t that already exist? Clemson, Alabama, Ohio S., LSU, OU and Whorns reportedly have nearly 65% of all 4 & 5 star recruits. Doesn’t leave many for even all the rest of P5 schools, let alone the balance of paupers.

That still leaves a lot of guys (strictly by numbers) spread around. Not to mention a lot of those highly ranked guys don’t pan out and lower ranked guys out of high school become big names. The guys I’m saying may transfer are the ones who become studs during their first few seasons in college and are on teams that wouldn’t contend for a championship. The players who are ready for the NFL won’t sit out a season so they can play for a title. If they can change schools in year 3, try to get a championship, and still get drafted at their original date what stops them?

My whole thing is I don’t see this benefitting anyone but the teams that are already at the top. I won’t argue it one way or the other as far as what’s fair to players.

One other thing I can see happening is a coach hired at a new job being expected to bring some of his best players to his new team.

1 Like

That is a worrisome issue but isn’t that already happening with recruits? Hopefully the NCAA can be smart enough to put proper rules in place so existing players can’t do that even with a waiver.

For sure with recruits. Can you imagine if Herman took the South Carolina job and Ward and Ed went with him though? We’re talking a whole new level of hate.

And I’m not trying to be Negative Nancy on this whole subject. I’m as optimistic of a guy as you’ll find. Just seeing some glaring issues that can snowball.

I think they are.

red80,

The “Jobs” thing is too easily subject to recruiting abuses.

See early 80s SMU for more details.

1 Like

What a transfer-whenever-you-want-to-wherever-you-want-to-without-sitting-out rule would mean is that, in essence, recruiting would never stop. Indeed, why even bother to recruit many high school players? Your school has to find, sign, educate, feed, house, and coach them and then they just go to another school. Wouldn’t it be better to just get already found, signed, educated, well fed, weight trained, and coached players from your rivals? - It would be better for your school and hurt theirs. How is that sportsmanship?

Will it encourage student athletes to graduate in 4 years? - Of course not. It may, however, encourage academically weaker student athletes to transfer to a school that is academically easier and thus provide a better chance of eventually graduating.

Will it encourage coaches wanting to make more money to threaten to leave their school and take the whole team with him if he doesn’t get a big pay raise? - It could happen.

The rule would, however, increase auto sales in certain places like Travis County, Brazos County, and the whole State of Oklahoma.

1 Like

It does not bother me. I would not ride the bench if I was a blue chip or high end recruit. It is all about getting something on film or tape to show the scouts.

1 Like