Biggest AAC worry

I haven’t seen those Chronicle articles, however I have visited 3-4 UT sites and you hardly see any mention of UH. A&M figures a lot, UH almost never. I was going by that.

1 Like

I remember that. It was very annoying.

Don’t forget about UT4B12(I think that was his profile name). He would come on TOS acting as if he was a fan/friend of UH but would always say something negative. Seen him on the WVU board multiple times talking crap about UH.

There was an OU fan that used to come on as well but he was always advocating for UH to be in the B12.

2 Likes

I don’t think you were around back when we were in the SWC. Here are two reasons to think it was as much a hate game for them as for us.

1.) We set a record for attendance at one of their games. Higher than any A&M / Texas game.
2.) We are still the only team that their fans ran onto the field after the game and tore down the goal posts after beating the visitor.

Sound like a school that had a hate for the other school?

This is without mentioning how our fanbase was treated at their stadium.

2 Likes

On another note, I will agree that there is not much interest in us now. But that would quickly change if they started playing us again.

They don’t leave nasty comments about the Coogs on their own fans’ sites, they leave nasty comments on the Coogs’ fans sites. That way they can get the Coogs all riled-up and start an argument going and get a kick out of it!

Also, now that the Coogs have had success beating good Power 5 teams you’re gonna see less of those kind of put-downs and nasty comments from the Boghorns and Ags fans. But they still do exist.

1 Like

After listening to the Scott and Holman pawdcast, I now like to refer to them as the “cow college”

1 Like

The SWC has been dead for 23 years. If you are talking about current student bodies or recent graduates within the last 10 years or so, none of the Aggies or Longhorns even think about UH athletics. I have friends and family from both schools. Trust me when I say UH is “out of sight, out of mind”.

2 Likes

Likewise…but that’s not 100% true in either case. Both sides are looking.

How do you think UT copies UH?

To be fair, by the time Briles left he was making a lot more money, but nothing compared to what Baylor was going to pay him. His reason for Baylor had more to do with his wife hated the city. She missed the Stephenville area. Add to all that Briles’ relationship with Maggard deteriorated very quickly. It was a perfect storm.

In the end, he still left the wrong way and abused the goodwill he had developed with the fanbase. I am glad he is gone, and he will never work here again.

2 Likes

I’ve been a Cougar for about 60 years. How about you??

Gadfly
You do realize that our shared opinion is not in favor with some of the most vocal local yokels.

1 Like

I wont go so far as to say we dont win championships, but i will say if we want to be taken seriously we need to win them more consistently. Yes sumlin took us to a couple of championships but no one remembers the second place team. (Im putting an asterisk on that 2011 championship because, screw sumlin)

We cant win one conference championship every 9 years and expect to be a serious contender for a P5 conference over a school like ucf for example.

Hopefully with a coach like dana we will start winning them consistently without the fear of him getting poached.

We’ve been more consistent than UCF the last 10yrs, shoot, more consistent than most Texas programs, coaching carousel notwithstanding. UCF is flavor of the last couple of years while our program had the Major lull. Dana will get it back.

edit: No disrespect to UCF. What they’ve done the last couple of years has been amazing. I am talking about larger picture consistency

There are a handful of “P5” schools that haven’t won’t their conference in the last 30 years (if ever); their conference officials will be sure to remember. The University of Houston does not have to be the most attractive G5 school( even though that wouldn’t hurt); we need to be more attractive than programs like Kansas, Iowa State, TCU(Baylor), Wake Forest, Oregon State, Arizona, Indiana, Illinois etc…

All p5 schools are already in the club and don’t have to prove anything.

It’s schola wanting to enter that have to dazzle.

We’re going to agree to disagree on that one. I’d imagine if a school that has a history of losing is not more valuable than a school that has a history of winning, regardless of prior affiliation.

Schools in only one conference need to worry realignment: the Big XII.

No schools have been poached from the SEC, the PAC 12 or the B1G. Only one school has ever been poached from the ACC, Maryland, and they went to the B1G.

In the Big XII you have the big 3, UT, OU, and KU (because of MBB) and the seven dwarfs. And even their options are somewhat limited. OU will not go to the B1G. They do not have the academic credentials and they don’t bring enough TV sets. UT has probably burned its bridge with the PAC12 and think they’re better than the SEC schools. The ACC might accommodate them like they did ND.

If I’m one of the remaining seven schools, I’m terrified. Which of that lot would you want in your conference? You have two private schools (BU and TCU) two little brother schools in small rural states (OSU and KSU) two out in the middle of no where (TT, ISU) and one who has already been jilted by the ACC (WVU.) Iowa won’t let ISU into the B1G.

I expect that Nebraska might object to UT in the B1G. How do you think Missouri and A$M would feel about UT in the SEC?

Moving forward, winning is important, but as the Rutgers invitation proves, TV sets are just as important.

2 Likes

Nebraska was a power player in the Big 8 and the Big 12. They have no power in the Big 10. In the Big 10 what Michigan and Ohio State want goes. And if tOSU and Michigan want UT in, there is nothing Nebraska can do to block them.

The PAC 12 is in dire straits. If UT showed even a little interest in joining them, they’d take UT in a heartbeat. You don’t keep a program like UT out of your conference. If they want in, you take them. I think UT won’t want the PAC or SEC. ACC ans B1G would be their choice and then too B1G is what they will go for.