Biggest AAC worry

I do think once we get invited into a P5 conference, we will attract a good amount of casual college football fans. They don’t have any affiliation with UH but will enjoy watching the game played at the highest level. Although I think we are playing at highest level, the media does its part in separating the “G5” and “P5”.

On the academic side I think we are making UT leaders nervous. I say this because of their attempt of trying to open a UT-Houston campus.

New UT fans may not look at us as rivals but they do not think of us as some commuter school with an athletic department as do the older generation. Many of them(the ones that I come across) from Houston had UH second on their list when seniors in high school. We have been just as if not more relevant than them this past decade in football and now in basketball.

5 Likes

To be fair, Baylor was no one’s idea of a dream job. Briles just took a bigger paycheck as UH was only paying him 250K per year (or thereabouts).

1 Like

Actually, Art was at almost 1 million when he left us.

2 Likes

Every month or so the same argument comes up. Is uta, atm and ok and others afraid of us? Of course they are. It aint me or any other U of H alum or U of H fans writing this. All of the nay-sayers know who said it last. Yes gang all together as Marvin Zindler would say (not “Slime in the ice machine”) Barry Switzer. You heard of him right? Enough said. This is going to go on and on and on. Until we get back into a P5. Watch out when we get back into a P5. I know at the same time you can automatically foresee that uta and others will be Skyping with the ncaa. The casa nostra is open with their wrong doings. The ncaa makes everyone believe they are angels.

Yeah, within 3 years they had an 8-1 conference record (12-1 overall) that is winning decisively within the 2-3 year span I was talking about! TCU proved it could happen, but UH is gonna take it a few steps above that and win more consistently!

TCU simply lost that hunger and gritty underdog mentality once it had gained that Power 5 status. I don’t think UH is gonna let that happen!

With Power 5 money to retain our coaching staff, improve our facilities, and more national exposure to help with recruiting, the probability of UH improving its football program only gets better, not worse!

Also, for those that like to be negative and point to the fact that UH did’t win enough conference championships to be considered as being dominant, that had a lot to do with our coaching staff bolting for a Power 5 gig than anything else! It’s hard to win your conference game when the head coach and most of his assistances leave the players and the program high and dry! We all know emotionally the players weren’t into the game.

2 Likes

Facts.

1 Like

I agree to some extent that Briles, Sumlin, Herman leaving had a negative effect on our program but they didn’t win Championships when they were here consequently we are considered also rans in a weak conference. Not good for our future. Hope I’m wrong.

They didn’t win championships? Check the records.

1 Like

What are you/ did you study at UH?

1 Like

Apparently we are the only g5 team to suffer coaching changes and therefore have a mediocre conference record since 1991

Not.

Face it, while UH was saying woes me and blaming UT and the boogeyman, other teams were winning the SWC, CUSA, Big East, and AAC. Not to mention WAC, MWC, and MAC.

Beating OU then setting a record while losing to army does not instill any fear.

We beat OU with Herman. We lost to Army with applewhite. That’s exactly the point. If we had a coach like Herman who was here for the long haul, we probably don’t lose to Army like that. Instead, most of his tenure was filled with reporters saying which school he should go to next. It’s frustrating for the players and frustrating for the fans.

1 Like

I agree that continuity under a good coach is key factor of long term sustainable success. Regularly losing good coaches to P5 is one of the main factors why UH never quite managed to dominate the AAC.

I don’t agree that UT will treat us as an instant rival. I don’t think their fans care about UH. UT is a schools that gave up rivalries with Arkansas and A&M without batting an eye. A&M wanted to keep the game going even after they joined the SEC and UT said no.

If we are ever in the same conference as UT, it’ll be over 20 years (at least) since we last played UT as conference rivals. There would be no history, that UT fans would fondly remember and
look back to. There never was much of a rivalry even when we were conference mates. Whatever hatred there may be it’s one way from UH fans.

UT is featured regularly in posts on UH boards. Visit UT boards and you’ll be hard pressed to find even an occasional mention of UH. We just don’t figure in their thoughts even faintly, let alone as future rivals.

My mistake. CUSA Co Champ once and outright AAC Champ once. My apologies.
Still not the kind of winning record that gets you noticed.

Exactly. We want to be hated and feared by the likes of UT but it ain’t happening. They consider themselves better than us (and everybody else for that matter) and we are a mere pimple on Bevo’s ass.
It’s kind of funny how some of you get butt hurt because UT couldn’t care less about us. Do we care about Rice? Hell no. Now you get it. Probably butt hurt about that too.

Briles won an outright championship in 2006 ( I rushed the field that night) and then was poached at the end of 07, Sumlin was in the title game a few years and then was poached in 2011, Herman won the AAC in 2015 and was poached the next year. Tough to sustain success that way.

4 Likes

You must be a grad student at UH, huh?

2 Likes

False. Briles was making almost $1M/year when he left here.

1 Like

I beg to differ! Back when the Chroincle had a couple of good beat writers who wrote terrific articles about UH football, you would always see hundreds of negative comments left by the Bonghorns fans about the Coogs in the comment section every time! Those Bonghorns fans always say the Coogs would be a punching bag for the Big 12-2 teams and that the worst Big 12-2 team would wipe the floors with Cougar High!

Every time the Coogs won a game it was because they played a nobody! A common message left by those Bonghorns fans is: “Talk to me when you have played someone with a pulse!” Or “Cougar High has nothing to offer the Big 12. If Cougar High were in the Big 12, Cougar High would be dead last in the conference!”

I don’t think hundreds of Bonghorns fans would leave nasty comments if they don’t care about the Coogs! They do care, but in a negative way! They want the worst possible for UH!

1 Like

I don’t think he’s a grad or a fan of UH whatsoever! Just pretending to be one so he can post anti-UH comments and still avoid being banned, maybe.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think he made it obvious by not knowing that those three coaches competed for conference titles. Him and Gadfly and I’m suspicious about P5orbust as well. Pretty sad that they feel the need to come onto our board just to spew negativities.

4 Likes