BOOM! c/o 2020 Kiyron Powell Commits (Update: Signed)

CKS was listing guys we have coming back and said in the back court we have everybody coming back. Do you think the whole back court will come back? There has been an assumption by many that Grimes and Jarreau would go after this season. What do you think.

Looking at the roster, we have 1 senior and 1 walk-on if I am correct in that Broodo is our sole walk-on. We have 13 players, so after Harris leaves, that will leave us with 11 scholarship players. We signed 3 players today. We can only have 13 on scholarship. Soā€¦

BTW, next year we will have 4 seniors if all juniors return.

2 Likes

Kind of expecting Grimes to leave but really donā€™t have any information.
Since we will be one over the limit he knows someone is

1 Like

My guess is that Jarreau tries to get on with an NBA team or overseas.

That would be a mistake because heā€™s got a big upside butā€¦heā€™s nowhere near built for the NBA right now! He needs 2 more years!

6 Likes

I was worried Walter and the Aces would try to steal him away last minute after their big win.

1 Like

I agree, but he could probably make an overseas roster. I do not know his personal situation.

I think Grimes would benefit by staying another year under CKS.

People forget that our only known (at least by me) recent grad to make an NBA roster was Dotson, and he was a 5th year senior I believe. I think he had to sit out a year when he transferred in.

Too many of these young men just are not polished enough and mature enough for the NBA. Their personal situation can always play into it. I think Brooks fell for the lure, whatever it might have been. I feel sure CKS knew he wasnā€™t NBA ready. Possibly never will be.

5 Likes

It is probably way too early to tell who could come out, but personally I have not seen anything to this point that would make be believe any of our kids are ready.
Of course my opinion means little to nothing. Grimes is probably the most polished player on the team, but will have to prove himself over the year.
I love Hinton and think he will eventually get drafted but I donā€™t think he is near ready. We saw what Mills was like against Alabama State. I think he is a rising star but he came down a notch from the exhibition game when confronted by a speedy bunch of defenders. I love his game but thinking he needs to learn to play under controlā€¦but then again, he is a freshman.
I still think White has what it takes to play at the next level, although it might be overseas. I like the way he is asserting himself in the post and he has an inside/outside game now.
If Jarreau leaves I think he will be playing overseas also. I know he is coming off surgery, but I still question his decision making at timesā€¦and he isnā€™t exactly a sharpshooter from outside. His best attribute is his ability to get into the paint and score or dishā€¦he really needs to gain some weight and muscleā€¦
Canā€™t say enough about the Sasser kidā€¦he is so cool and has a beautiful stroke from treylandā€¦it is amazing to me he was only rated a 3 star by most coming out of high school. Like some of the others on our team, he has a chance to be really special.
Honestly, we have not played anyone with a heart beat yet, but BYU will be a slight step upā€¦and this team will really find out about itself when it goes to ranked Oregonā€¦
Regardless, you can coach Sampson is going to have this team clicking on all cylinders by playoff timeā€¦

4 Likes

Powell has been a staple on the hardwood. As a junior, he averaged a double-double of nearly 11 points and rebounds a game.

But forget all the stats and accolades, he was just happy his mother was beside him to watch his dreams come true.

ā€œIn my head, Iā€™m doing everything I can for her," explains Powell. "To see her wear that UH and that smile on her face infront of everybody and see my family here, it means so much to me. I feel like I couldnā€™t do much more to just become greater. Houston, I went down there and like you said, it was just immediate support. That means everything to me because I know Iā€™m going to another city where theyā€™re gonna have my back just like Evansville. They might not know me as much as Evansville, but I know even if I fall down, theyā€™ll pick me back up.ā€

8 Likes

Wow. What a quote. CKS is just re-energizing the culture here. CTH talked about culture, but it was an audition for him. CKS backs it up. Incredible. Welcome aboard Kiyron.

8 Likes

Hermanā€™s culture was one of lying !

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/BbalEvv/status/1203150033102819329

Crazy dunk

4 Likes

Weā€™re gonna lead the nation in blocks with this guy and returnees. We have several guys with that quick elevation that can surprise shooters.

3 Likes

can use some of that now!

1 Like

https://twitter.com/BbalEvv/status/1203741513735426049

3 Likes

10 blocks! :star_struck:

3 Likes

I like what I hear!

He should be bumped to 4stars!!!

1 Like

Wait till he adds 40lbsā€¦rim rattlin will be back in style in the land that invented it.

1 Like

Not so fast my friendā€¦ After I added 40 lbs the only way I rattle the rim is clanging bricks. :nerd_face:

7 Likes

Yes, but itā€™s your bone structure that keeps you down. Donā€™t be so hard on yourself.

7 Likes