BOOM! Caleb Mills commits (Update: At school - redshirting)

We sure could use a 6 10 baller.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/acthshuddle/status/1062768045570043911

5 Likes

I noticed his 247 rating went from a .93 to a .89 since August. High School BB is just now getting started so how can 247 justify that downgrade? He’s still good, no doubt, but it kind of lends credence to my belief that recruiting rankings aren’t all that great.

2 Likes

Not defending the rankings at all, because they are overall correct, but with a bajillion kids how can they assign such a detailed grade for free? But
247 does rerank folks before their senior season based on AAU/summer league and whatnot. It also could be that other players just became better and then comparing a certain recruit to others from the same time period raised some and lowered others. Overall, when they are graded high schools love the recruiting services, and when they are graded low they are a diamond in the rough.

What Antoine Davis is doing at Detroit as a 87 grade recruit, I trust Kelvin Sampson as a talent evaluator. By the way, Mills is close to a 94 rating, btw.

2 Likes

247’s football recruiting is decent, probably the best of the recruiting sites.

247’s basketball recruiting is not, usually isn’t close to having an updated list of a kid’s offers and really doesn’t rank anyone behind the top 100 well. Verbal Commits is the better recruiting site for basketball and shows you what each of the recruiting site ranks a kid as when you click on their name.

2 Likes

Not any more. https://247sports.com/player/caleb-mills-46056579/

Wow, I disagree with that grade. It looks like they’ve gotten lazy at 247 sports.

welcome to the Houston Cougar family, Caleb!

But he only has offers from schools like FSU, Auburn, Clemson, Cincy, Harvard, George Mason, Marquette, Murray State, Providence, Saint Joseph’s, etc

Have any of those schools ever been to the NCAA tourney? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

That rating would have jumped had he signed with UNC.

4 Likes

As a junior in 2017-18, he was named the tournament’s Most Valuable Player after averaging 25.3 points per game in three contests during an international tour to Spain’s Canary Islands. He was recognized as a member of the All-Southeast Super Region Team.
_ _
“Caleb is a great competitor and loves the game. He is a multi-dimensional offensive player and brings excitement and enthusiasm,” Ray said. “Off the court, he is very even-keeled. You know exactly who Caleb is all the time.”

“We lose Corey ( Corey Davis Jr. to graduation); but, here comes Caleb. Here comes Marcus ( Marcus Sasser ). Here comes Justin Gorham . With Marcus coming in; Caleb coming in; and Justin coming in; Armoni ( Armoni Brooks ) coming back: shooter; shooter; shooter; shooter.”

Sampson concluded he believes Caleb Mills is a player who will have the ball in his hands at the end of games and make plays for the Coogs.

“I get asked this question a lot: with Dot ( Damyean Dotson ) we had somebody who could finish games; with Rob ( Rob Gray ) we had somebody who could finish games. We got guys this year that can finish games. The games we play this year will tell us who that is; and, it could be game to game; but, I know that Caleb is one of those kids that you look at him and say ‘You want the ball in his hands end of shot clock and at the end of games.’ I think he’s going to be that good.”

1 Like
1 Like

Makes me all goose-pimply hearing coach talk like that!

2 Likes

Next year’s roster with possible depth chart

Center: Brison Gresham, Chris Harris
Power Forward: Cedric Alley, Fabian White, Justin Gorham, J’Wan Roberts
Small Forward: Nate Hinton, DeJon Jarreau
Shooting Guard: Armoni Brooks
Point Guard: Caleb Mills, Marcus Sasser

We’re at 11 ships for next season. Will Sampson go the Juco /grad transfer route and maybe add a big man and/or guard for the 2019-20 season. Looks like UH will be reloading. Gorham was a huge pick up.

2 Likes

Memphis just added James Wiseman, ESPN’s number #1 recruit in 2019. They’re going to be a team to be reckoned with next year.

1 Like

We’re losing Brady and Robinson, to me that isn’t a reload. Like coach says, if a team can guard and rebound, they’ll always be in it.

I love Robinson as a true point guard and setting up the team, but he can’t shoot, and is a liability in that point (no pun intended). Now Brady’s girth is nice (no homo), but he’s never been a stat stuffer, and White and Gorham will pick up the slack. I still want CKS to add another BIG. And having two true freshmen at point guard, I’m okay because Hinton and Jarreau, if still with the team, can play point guard. But CKS will see after the season what kind of addition he needs to make.

1 Like