BOOM Emanuel Sharp commits

We have three ships for Nov in seniors White, Carlton, Moore.
But I could see us signing four since we always have one leave for nba or transfer.

1 Like

I can see Edwards blowing up here. Dude was so efficient at Tech and showed talent.

1 Like

I can only think of 3 other high school players UH signed from Florida. One major hit in Otis Lee Birdsong.
One average player: Willie Porter.
One who played only 3 games: 6-10 John Bowe.

Anthony Goldwire I think?

but maybe was juco first

3 Likes

I thought of Goldwire but he was Juco. His JUCO coach was Bob Marlin, who later went to Sam Houston and after that was a finalist for the UH job that went to either Penders or Dickey.

2 Likes

Quite a shooter. He does remind you a little like Birdsong.

1 Like

In Sampson Family I trust. Theyā€™ve more than earned it. Great get from the Sunshine State. Thatā€™s a new area for us. Go Coogs!

2 Likes

These kids canā€™t sign until November right? 6 months is along time to wait for a 60 second clip of CKS speaking about each signee. Iā€™d imagine Sampson thinks Sharp is bare minimum one of the top 4 scorers heā€™s signed at Houston along with Gray, Mills, and Mark. Will probably compare his body type to a role player that played for him in the 80s :joy:

Sharp really is the perfect type of prospect that you want your favorite school to sign. Top 50-100ish guys will be in school for 2+ years and have 1 or 2 really good (maybe even elite) traits that make them difference makers.

Also noticed from interviews that he considers himself more of a combo guard. As we saw in the tournament you canā€™t have enough guards that can handle, pass, shoot, and break the defense down.

6 Likes

Someone pointed out we donā€™t know much about his defensive ability. He definitely has the height speed, and length to be a good defender. With some thickness to boot. But as we all know the bigger question is does he have the desire to be a great defender. Listening to some interviews heā€™s done on YT he seems like a very nice and motivated kid. Talent + desire + a great coaching staff means this kid could be pretty good

2 Likes

they do it in different ways but his scouting reports is similar to griggs in that he is an elite level scorer, but doesnt put as much effort into the Dā€¦ noted this earlier but thats not as big a deal for us, that scouting report could have been used for most of the guards we brought inā€¦mark wasnā€™t exactly known for defense before he came here, neither is ramonā€¦ samspn noted armoni was horrendous on defense when he first came

sharp is known for elite level scoring production since middle schoolā€¦ was doing 30 a game in middle school aau, as HS freshman lead all freshman in Florida in scoring (#3 nationally amoung freshman)ā€¦did 25+ as sophomore/junior. Florida 5a player of the year this past seasonā€¦ #2 in NIkeā€™s Peach jam U15 in scoring from 2019 (to emoni bates)ā€¦ lead the FIBA U16 tournament in scoring (played for Israel)

7 Likes

Also Cecil and Linden Rose and Michael Thompson

He is a flat out a bucket getter

3 Likes

He looks like Cumberland 2.0. Big body, scorer

1 Like

The first thing that stands out to me is his thick 200 lb. frame. When he drives the lane he easily sheds smaller defenders. Good get for Sampson and crew.

4 Likes

Ritzcoog. You are correct. I forgot about Cecil Rose and Charles ā€œChetā€ Thompson. Two solid contributors from the mid-to-late 70s. They are from Bahamas but prepped in Miami.
Not counting Lynden since he transferred in from North Harris Community College. Lynden is one of most underrated Coogs.
Itā€™s great to sign national recruits.

Jcoop9 you had me at bucket getter.

1 Like

Dejon was a top 50 high school prospect. Devonta Pollard was a highly rated prospect. Obviously Quetin Grimes was a top 10 player in his class.But this guy would be our Highest rated incoming freshman under Sampson. #64 overall in Class of 2022

3 Likes

Sampson has said plenty of time in interviews he recruits players bases on their offense not their defense.

Unless someone leaves before the season starts I doubt we sign more the three.

weve lost a non senior player every year of sampsonā€¦ i doubt we retain everyone we are supposed to
also if im a betting man, edwards likely wants to only do 1 yearā€¦ no quality player thinks about a 5th year, especially being on a contending team and multiple peers are already in the NBA

1 Like