Boom! G Gio Pancotti commits to Houston - Transfer from Texas Tech

Grazie Millie Pancotti

1 Like

Yes as in Pancake Blockā€¦know what I mean Sukie?
Go Coogs ā€¦beat OU !

2 Likes

Its hard for me to fathom a guy playing football and graduating ā€“ cum laude, no less ā€“ in 3 years. It only took me 15 years, although only 6 1/2 of actually going to school. I had 4 years in the navy and sever year of working before finishing up at night school at UH.

7 Likes

Red,
Night school at UH helped many of us veterans get our degrees. It was not easy; I think UH does Engineering night school well .
Go Coogsā€¦ beat okie !

6 Likes

Thank you for your service! Iā€™m amazed by guys like you. Way to keep going until you had that degree!

12 Likes

Indeed it did; and not only that - the university tried to help veterans in other ways too. Students were allowed to take tests in some of the easier subjects, and if they passed the test, they were given credit for that subject.

I came out of the Air Force in the fall of 1946 (well, it was really the Army Air Force then; the Air Force was created as a separate unit later). Too late to start school until the Spring of 1947. With the help of the university on some of those easier subjects, and a lot of very hard work by me, I was able to get my degree, with a major in Accounting, by June of 1949 - just 2-1/2 years!

12 Likes

Pat, I was born in January '47, so you got out of the Army Air Corp a few months before I was born. You may not look older than dirt ā€“ but you are. At a mere 72, you make me feel like a whipper snapper. :grin:

7 Likes

Older than dirt? Yep - now 92-1/2 (birthday in December); and at 72, you qualify as a ā€œwhipper snapperā€! :grin::grin:

19 Likes

Man, at 42 1/2 years, you guys make me feel like a Newborn Baby, and I have a Newbornā€¦lol. My grandmother once told me over 20+ years ago, that even though at the time she was 71, she felt like she was 17 on the insideā€¦so on the inside you both are mere youth! Man I am impressed with both of your Military stories and attending UH. Only a true fighter can do both and you Gentlemen and others on this board, proved it can be done. Thank you both for your service and being an inspiration to all Coogfans!!!

7 Likes

Derrick, I worked for everything I ever got in life. When I was a kid my dad told me over and over there are two things I needed to know: 1, every tub stands on its own bottom; 2 when Iā€™m 18 he would break my plate, burn my bed, and I would be on my own. He meant both.

When I attended UH I was working 50 and 55 hour weeks and taking 9 hours a semester, 10 if there was a lab involved. That is one reason I have little tolerance for these kids that expect everything to be given them and expect college to be free. Yes, I spoiled my daughter and put her through UH on the ā€œPrincess Plan,ā€ but I worked hard to be able to do it. But it was my choice, not a God (or government) given right.

10 Likes

Red,
You and I travelled down the same dusty road . What you said was the same for me . I was oldest of six children with no support . Military/G.I.Bill was my solution . UH was my mentor .The rest is history .

3 Likes

Pat, Red and Glennā€¦Thanks to each of you for your service to America, the greatest country in the history of man, because of Dudes like you.
You guys make me so very proud to be a Cougar and an Americanā€¦UofH provided all of us with a first class education, which enabled all of us to succeed in life, together with very hard work.

9 Likes

Thank you Kendall.

2 Likes

Every day that passes being excluded from a P5 is a reminder why we despise uta and atm. This is a personal insult to all of us and every single FBS program.
You bet your #$%^& that both are responsible for our exclusion.
The fact the ncaa does not do squat about it or try to take lead speaks volume. I donā€™t to read that they canā€™t. Of course they can. They are not because this so called non profit organization is getting paid off by the cfp.
montcoog, Kendall there is got to be a way to sue this status quo.

5 Likes

you forgot Baylor/Ann Richards, I guess them and uta at the same time

3 Likes

Eat em up
Mybe you knew my grandfather, Walter Scarborough, he was at UofH about same time you were, he was the first to have 4letters there, before football
Do you remember?

1 Like

The only way this can be corrected is with federal legislation.

5 Likes

If that was for me, no, I didnā€™t know any Scarboroughs at UH. Here south of HOuston in southerm Brazoria County, West Columbia, Sweeny, Brazoria there are some. Mike and his son, they called Gerber. Baseball folks

The question was for ā€œ eat em up ā€œ he said he was at UofH in the 40s

2 Likes

My memory ā€œainā€™tā€ as good as it used to be, but I donā€™t think I ever knew your Grandfather, Walter Scarborough - could be wrong about that. But, you said that he was there ā€œbefore football.ā€ Maybe he was there before me. I came out of the Air Force in the Fall of 1946 - too late for that semester; enrolled for my first classes in the Spring of 1947 - finished in June of 1949.

Actually, I took most of my classes at UH-Downtown, which was just an extension of the main campus in those days. I had no car, so had to get to school via public transportation, which meant that to get out to campus, I had to ride one bus into town, then walk a few blocks and take another out to campus. I did go out to the main campus for a couple of semesters to take courses that were not offered Downtown.

I was so busy with classes and homework that I really paid very little attention to sports at UH until after graduation; and football was my major interest in those days. I went to a few football games while going to school and listened to most of them on the radio. I began to buy season tickets in 1950, right after graduation and getting a full-time job. I have had them every year since!

10 Likes