Boom! G Gio Pancotti commits to Houston - Transfer from Texas Tech

I SECOND THAT!

2 Likes

This is interesting history. Does anyone remember where UH held their classes downtown back then? Was it at the South Texas Junior College? I’m just reading up on it now, apparently STJC was founded by the YMCA and had their classes at 1600 Louisiana. They moved to the 1 Main St campus in 1967, bought the building in 1969, and were bought by UH 1974.

2 Likes

The STJC classes were run in the basement of the building . It was an interesting group of students .

1 Like

As I said, my memory “ain’t” as good as it used to be, and that has been a VERY long time ago! The actual building where the Downtown School held classes back then might well have been demolished in the years since then, but I think it was on Fannin Street, maybe between Capitol and Rusk. I think it was right next to the back of the old Texaco Building, which I think actually fronted on San Jacinto Street. That old Texaco Building was a real classic; it sat vacant for decades after Texaco moved out, but I think it has now been renovated and changed into condos.

2 Likes

Seems the coaching staff is

1 Like

Thanks Kendall, but to me it was a privilege to serve and am grateful the Navy allowed me that opportunity.

4 Likes

Pat & Mike are picture postcards of so many of our great Cougars! Busted their butts getting degrees & have become some of our greatest fans. Buy tickets, show up, yell & scream & do this for not only the glory days but are here in the dark tough times that test your love & loyalty of all things Cougar. Need another 40,000 just like these two super fans!

8 Likes

Amen Bo

2 Likes

And now, I want to thank Bo; he served ONLY as Chairman of the Board of Regents - that’s all!

But, that was not his greatest achievement; somehow he also persuaded Josanna to marry him. And, that lady is one of the greatest, most dedicated Cougars of all times - started out as a cheer leader, and went on from there. I could fill out the rest of this page recounting her projects, and I am sure I don’t even know them all.

I have always said that if you want to get ANYTHING done at the University of Houston, just put Josanna in charge, and then get the “H” out of the way!

10 Likes

Great. I hope he improves and is the guy in 2020.

1 Like

And don’t forget that Bo ran the Taxi Squad for years in the 90’s (until that NitWit Carr messed up the entire Athletics Dept)

3 Likes

Pat, I couldn’t have said it better. Bo and Josanna are bedrock alumni and fans of UH.

But let me say that I love UH and truly appreciate the opportunity it gave me. I grew up an LSU fan and did go there 2 1/2 years, but all one could take at night, at that time, was general studies. I was working here in Houston and discovered I could pursue the same degree at night as I could in the day. Had I not been able to do so, things would have been so different for me.

How could any of us who were given that opportunity not appreciate it and not support UH is beyond me. I hear people say that they don’t owe UH anything, they paid for what they got. I don’t believe that for a minute. They may have paid a portion, but the great state of Texas covered a whole lot of it.

8 Likes

Agreed. Actions speak louder than words. Service, season tickets and donations are the currency of giving back to an Institution which was so freely given to us.
My two degrees enabled me to have a Wonderful life. I give back to UH each and every year. I owe UH

5 Likes