Boom! RB De'Mitri Monroe commits to UH (Update; Decommitted)

Is he still with us?

No…

So, this guy was not an early signee?

I found this recent article dated 12/17/2018.
https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/advosports/van-vleck-s-monroe-named-first-team-all-state/article_5068f664-0268-11e9-a306-d71a268734aa.html

Monroe has committed to play football at the University of Houston and plans to sign with the Cougars in February.

I heard there’s a question about grades

Also I’m sure CDH may want to find a few or flip some.

In that case, he may have to go the juco route first.

This

1 Like

Anyone know what GPA you need to be eligible? Pass all core classes with D or better? 2.0?

Depends on your SAT or ACT scores and your class rank. University can waive requirements, but you have to be somewhere in the ballpark.

1 Like

Division I academic eligibility

To be eligible to compete in NCAA sports during your first year at a Division I school, you must graduate high school and meet ALL the following requirements:

• Complete 16 core courses:
    • Four years of English
    • Three years of math (Algebra 1 or higher)
    • Two years of natural/physical science (including one year of lab science if your high school offers it)
    • One additional year of English, math or natural/physical science
    • Two years of social science
    • Four additional years of English, math, natural/physical science, social science, foreign language, comparative religion or philosophy
  • Complete 10 core courses, including seven in English, math or natural/physical science, before your seventh semester. Once you begin your seventh semester, you may not repeat or replace any of those 10 courses to improve your core-course GPA.
  • Earn at least a 2.3 GPA in your core courses.
  • Earn an SAT combined score or ACT sum scorematching your core-course GPA on the Division I sliding scale, which balances your test score and core-course GPA. If you have a low test score, you need a higher core-course GPA to be eligible. If you have a low core-course GPA, you need a higher test score to be eligible._
1 Like

Reminder: neither Earl Campbell or Vince Young could spell SAT or ACT, but even so, they were each admitted to UT-Austin and somehow remained eligible for a full 4 years. Imagine that!

3 Likes

Core classes do not include PE, band, basket weaving etc… :smile:

1 Like

Sometimes student athletes will have to take special classes during the summer before their freshman year to be eligible for a particular university.

1 Like

So, yeah, a 2.5 GPA means you need at least a 900 SAT which isn’t a slam dunk for quite a few people. If you fail a class, you can obviously go to summer school and ought to at least make a C…maybe higher…but I assume you don’t take more than two summer classes. Do people have to pay to do summer school? Maybe not in bigger districts like HISD. It costs us at least $400/class to do summer school. Good luck to everyone with their grades to ensure compliance.

UT and UH take athletes – especially football and m/w hoops – that at least meet the Div I minimums.