[BOOM!]Reggie Chaney commits to UH!

I hope Chaney’s 225 lb is better than my 225 lb. People like to tell me I’m really slow and soft at 225 lbs. Kind of lumpy. And I bruise easily.

14 Likes

That’s sounds verbally abusive. I’m here if you need to talk about it. I know a couple of good churches in Houston too in case you want to expand your network including a more supportive Cast.

Seriously, on video, he looks to be an upgrade to ced alley.

Taller, more athletic, and better offensively after getting the rebound. Might be faster too after seeing him beat a couple guys in full court sprints.

2 Likes

I have to disagree…he’s been playing in the SEC not Juco…big difference

1 Like

He is taller than alley, and has more size
But alley is WAY more athletic and has a way better offense
Alley is a capable shooter who’s shots weren’t falling for whatever reason…Chaney just can’t shoot at all

1 Like

Glad we are absolutely loaded with options on offense.

I just hope Reggie can adopt at least half the heart and hustle that Ced showed during his tenure here. If he can, he’ll excel.

2 Likes

It’s hard to argue against that I loved alleys intensity and athleticism.

Felt his offensive game digressed from year one. Cringes every time he put up a three. In fact, wondered why Sampson wasn’t saying something to him. It was obvious he had no business shooting three’s.

But my point was that video can be deceiving. They rarely show theSe guys worst plays or lowlights.

1 Like

alley was hitting 5 in a row ,6 in a row, 8 in a row in practice and warmups …alley can shot, it just wasnt dropping in games for whatever reason…
sampson has actually gotten furious at alley for not shooting open 3s before. it had to have been some sort of mental thing

1 Like

We have a golf term for that one … the yippz

And they are the worst man!

You can go from playing a par to a triple or bogey golf to low hundreds quick.

Bottom line is Chaney gives us more depth if he gets to play this year. To me he looks and plays a lot like Gresham and I will take that

8 Likes

Yes, butch.

And that’s what I meant by his athleticism “on tape”.

Sampson has said that Gresham is the most athletic player we have or had.

I’m not going to argue with him. But - I thinks it’s dejon.

Chaney reminds me of Gresham. And I’m not complaining about having another Gresham for two years.

gresham is the comp id give him too

His numbers don’t seem so great though. Any theories as to why his production wasn’t better?

who are you referencing, alley or chaney?

Idk if I agree with the “way more athletic” or the “way better offense”. Really at all.

Alley could space and Chaney can’t, which is a big plus for Alley. However, Chaney had a 65% TS% and Alley’s was 39%. Even if it’s just put backs and finishes near the rim that’s still “offense”. In terms of counting stats on a per minute basis and advanced stats Chaney was more productive than Alley.

Chaney also looks like a really good athlete.

Ced’s biggest strength was defensive versatility. He could switch on picks if needed and still cover guards but also hold his own against bigs that weren’t too big. I perused the Ark board and they said sort of the same about Chaney, that he’s very versatile defensively and can hold his own if he gets caught in a switch on a guard.

Big question…can Chaney make free throws?

1 Like

how do you classify 50%

Nope. ~50%.

If Chris Harris can improve his free throw shooting, I’m sure Reggie can. Get to work young man!

@pesik
@TJCoog

We can all agree. Hopefully… that “on tape”…

Chaney is an upgrade. At least to last years version of alley.

chaney is 6’8, in shape with long arms so he seems athletic and dunks alot…but if you actually pay attention to his film he isnt bouncey in comparison to his size. he barely gets off the ground, if you go through the film of him online, there are 3 or 4 times he was thrown an alley and finished with a layup…
alley was extremely bounce, in you can tell pregames by his warmups dunks, you can tell in actual games from the vertical on some of his rebounds and attempted blocks …

and ts% is probably the worst definer of who is good on offense…i just had a debate with some aac fans who said mills isnt good on offense because his ts% isnt good… alley versatility on offense is drastically better, he was shooting mid-ranges, 3s, driving on opponents…chaney only score in the paint and doesnt exactly have top level post moves…the counting stats argument is weak, Arkansas wasn’t a good team at all and he had more freedoms, alley was on a deep team

defensively chaney is a plus add, his sophomore defensive stats arent very good, but his freshman defensive stats were ELITE… in regards to block rate (which removes minutes from the equation) he had the best block rate in the nation for 6’8 or shorter players …even though his soph season isnt great his fresh season shows he is capable…chaney isnt a bad add, if we had multiple ships i wouldnt mind…but we had 1 ship for a team with needs and used that ship on something that didnt address it, just doubled down on what we already had

1 Like