BOOM! Tahj Brown - DL from Louisiana (Update: Signed)

Our uniforms, except maybe that greyish-black, are way nicer looking!

https://twitter.com/tahjb15/status/938895937178566656

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/TahjB15/status/939890254907166722

2 Likes

YES!
https://twitter.com/TahjB15/status/940749692551467014

16 Likes

outstanding!

LB or DE? What do you think?

MLB

This wa huge as he was scheduled to go to Austin next week.

Kid’s going to be a beast.

3 Likes

If we hang on to Mutin, DE. We got to get both of those monsters on the field. lol

I think DE too. I film I’ve seen has me doubting he has the speed for ILB. But I may be wrong.

Agreed; I could see him at DT. If he picks up the technique, he could play relatively early. That’s a position of need. The coaches have to be selling him on that.

Also, 247 says he’s eligible for early enrollment along with Amie, Williams, Sprewell, and Vaughn. It would be great they all could participate in Spring practice!

4 Likes

We need Amie and Williams to get some reps in the Spring for sure. Especially Williams. He’ll be needed in the slot, due to WR depth concerns.

1 Like

Well his Twitter bio does say “Defensive End at The University of Houston”

3 Likes

I think the more talent we can get around Oliver the better we will be. This year it was pretty obvious that we had weaknesses in the secondary. And the better the front line played the better our secondary looked due to the fact that the quarterback didn’t have time to throw. With all the people coming in all Oliver or somebody should be able to make a play behind the line of scrimmage which will help our secondary until we get some experience.

3 Likes

Agree. Carter came on strong once he recovered from his injury and he’s back. Isaiah Chambers, transfer from TCU, has the tools to win the job at the other DE spot but Payton Turner may have something to say about that and hopefully Bryan Jones will be at Spring camp too.

We really, really need a good DT for when Ed gets hurt (those chop blocks are getting more frequent). I was pretty disappointed with Fleming this year. Sophomore slump maybe. If Taj Brown enrolls early and gets 8-9 months in the weight room, he might could do it. But, I like him at ILB or DE.

We have an offer out to Shabazz Dotson, DT Cedar Hill, who may have the tools to play right away He’s listed at 6’3" 271 on 247 and 6’4" 250 on Rivals so he’d have to bulk up, too. Rivals says he is high on UH, Kansas State, and Memphis but has offers from Michigan and Iowa State among others. He’s said some good things about why he’d like to play at UH. Basically, Ed taking up two blockers makes it easier for him to make plays. I guess he doesn’t know we run a 3-4. But if we have two quality tackles, whose to say we don’t run a 4-3 at least situationally?

The incoming class may be needed at ILB even if Derek Parish is ready - All district in 2016 and Scout had him at #5 MLB in Texas and #42 nationally. I don’t why he didn’t get recruited by more programs. He seems to have the size at 6’2" 240. Recruits Donavan Mutin and Taj Brown may have a real shot. Roman Brown, Sr next year, is the only guy coming back who played ILB this year and he’s a little smallish at 5’11" 225.

Our secondary looks to be experienced heading into next year. Wilder will be a Jr, I know he missed most of this year, maybe he gets a medical red shirt. Grant Stuard seems primed for nickle or maybe take Terrell Williams spot, Davis, Winchester, Myers, and Johnson are Sr. I know this will be Johnson’s second year at CB but he played every game except Navy so there’s no inexperience excuse next year. Plus, Ka’Darian Smith and Joeal Williams saw action this year too.

So that 's what I think.

4 Likes

Good stuff. If we can land Dotson at 6-4, he wouldn’t need anyone to occupy blocks. They’re going to double team him too. lol 6-4 is a lot of length at DT, and if they don’t double him, they’ll allow him to arm tackle RB’s as they try to get by.

Nice write-up, 230. Anything new on Dotson?

He’s being very coy. Probably won’t know until signing day on him, I think. Can CMA take recruits to the bowl game? That wouldn’t hurt…

That’s what I’ve been thinking, too. If we ran a 4-3 and offenses tried to to double both tackles, look out. the DE’s and LB’s not to mention a blitzing DB should have a good time!

1 Like