Build the AAC and make it home

Just admit we’ll never have True rivalries in the AAC and we can live comfortably -

We could use one more University with a killer Football- Basketball program.

Obviously that is BYU. But if they have no real interest we look elsewhere.

The TV eyeballs are to our East. But just do not see viable suspects.

Just admit we have never had a true rivalry regardless of conference, and we can live comfortably.

2 Likes

I don’t think we would have built the football stadium if someone didn’t advise us to upgrade facilities across the brd bc we could have made do with Robertson in this conference so I think Aldine is right.

5 Likes

This^

Renu and Tillman know what needs to be done and I trust them.

As an early-80’s era Coog, it brings tears of pride and joy to my eyes nearly every time I step on campus these days, and see what’s been achieved since then.

Several Cartel 5 TV contracts are coming due in a couple of years or so.

Patience.

2 Likes

Robertson was a dump and was an albatross regardless of what conference we were in. Uncle Dave tried to upgrade it but was tantamount to putting lipstick on a pig. We had to upgrade or fall to the wayside. Tdecu was built before we had any rumblings of PAC possibilities. It was built so that UH could simply survive with football.

1 Like

so your saying they invested around 250 mil and counting with no plan or advisement. It’s a lot of money for us to do and I think Khator etc must have caught wind what we need to do to at least be attractive to a p5

2 Likes

Definitely more attractive to a P5 than if we had stayed at Robertson.

I liken it to San Antonio building the Alamodome in hopes of getting an NFL team. We built TDECU to at least not play in a dump, but also be attractive to potential suitors.

TDECU was not a speculative build; when it was approved, we were preparing for a move to the Big East, which was an AQ league. That didn’t fall apart until after the Rob was demolished.

1 Like

Good memory. I’d forgotten about the big East. Such a shame that ended

Debatable… a lot of overlap but board didnt approve funding until after Big East was no longer AQ. But process was started before that. But process was started before Big East announcement.

Timeline:
11/2011 - SGA approves vote for fee to fund stadium
12/2011 - Houston announces move to join Big East
1/2012 - Students vote to approve fee
4/2012 - BCS ends. Big East loses AQ
8/2012 - TDECU Stadium funding approved by board
12/2012 - Robertson demolition begins

Edit: corrected year typo from 2001 to 2011

typo ? 2001 should be 2011 maybe?
And I thought we had 1 season that we were still technically elgibile to
be in BCS , so maybe AQ loss happened later in that year.

Yes…didn’t UCF play Baylor in the BCS bowl or was it Louisville?

He meant 2011.I looked up some info and right on the time line.

So we could have backed out of doing the new stadium after we knew the big East was toast. Also, most of the teams that are in the aac was to be the big East and not any big name teams. They left as soon as it was announced or soon after bc of the Acc raid. We were exciting for 2 main reasons which was it was still an AQ league and bb was going to be exciting with ND , seton hall, Georgetown etc. I truly believe the aac can become like the old big East as a salty league and we are getting favor to go to the bcs bowl in most yrs. Other g5 s have to be almost perfect to over take us for that bcs slot.

or if we had no aspirations to be invited (what a bs term) to a P5 we could have played our games at NRG/Reliant stadium like we did at the Astrodome. WE CHOOSE to spend the money on new stadiums. Why do you think? Do you think we have tons of money to burn? Do you think we did it just because it looks nice? Seriously?

Some of you that thinks/hammer the point that there is not one P5 interested in us is plain stupid.
Stupid thoughts are not good. We do not have an invite yet. Does that mean we won’t have one in eight minutes? You and I do not know.
I am going to write it again.
Why are/was Tillman Fertitta and Renu Khator so active promoting us?
Seriously some of you are either doing this on purpose or have nothing better to do than posts the same narrative.
We will get the answer when these contracts come up or are being discussed (maybe)

1 Like

Playing at Reliant would have cost us money. They don’t give us use of the stadium for free…we would have had to rent it out.

Plus, TDECU does host other events where UH gets revenue.

2 Likes

Yes, yes it does! The 8 minutes have come and pass.

I find it interesting that people believe:
1 athletic associations care about AAU member status
2 athletic associations must have contiguous state boundary’s
3 athletic associations care about an institutions religious affiliations
4 athletic associations care about traditional rivalry games

The only thing that football athletic associations care about today is money.

I would love to add a 12th team if it was the quality of BYU/Boise but that won’t happen.

I will also say I am surprised at the schedules that UConn has been able to put together as an independent. I thought it would be much tougher for them. It seems like that separation was good for both parties.

1 Like

That’s a great point. Shame the XFL went belly up. Hopefully
it can be used more for concerts and another league in the future.

Any idea how much annual maintenance costs on keeping up TDECU ?
Or are those cost already covered by some existing maintenance fund ?