Build the AAC and make it home

Fan support is a killer. And I am afraid the lack of will raise its ugly head once unless we come out mashing folks.
It is what it is.

2 Likes

There is no reason why we can’t come out mashing folks this season. If we can’t get it done this season, then I’m afraid we have a long road ahead.

2 Likes

Couple of adjustments for football capacity:
UCLA - Rose Bowl - 91,136
USC - Memorial Coliseum - 77,500
Washington Huskies - 70,083
Cal Berkeley - 62,467
ASU - Between 53,599 and 56,634 (after renovations)
UTAH - 51,444 (starting this season)
U of A - 50,782 since 2018
Stanford - 50,424
Colorado - 50,183
OSU - 43,363
WSU - 32,952

At ~33K, Washington State’s Martin Stadium holds less than TDECU. It’s surprising given how many Wazzou fans showed up for the WSU-UH Advo Care Kickoff game at NRG two years ago.

1 Like

It is easier to get to Houston then it is to get Pullman.

4 Likes

I went to grad school at the Univ of Montana in Missoula. Washington–Grizzly Stadium holds 25K and the Grizz play in the Big Sky (Div 1`FCS). WSU has 26K student enrollment in a rural setting. Pretty impressive.

Southwest now flies to Pullman

2 Likes

Note that the largest stadiums (by far) in the PAC-12 are not located on campus and in fact are NOT university stadiums.

3 Likes

SMU is a rival. Tulsa basically is. Memphis and Cincy are both natural rivals. AAC champ basically always gets a NY6 spot. Playoffs are going to expand. This our forever home may as well start to like it.

2 Likes

Heck yeah! Better get used to it and make the best of it. And if we do move “up” it’ll be icing on the cake.

1 Like

This is not quite true for USC. It is not technically on campus but it is within a few hundred feet.

Not true for W. U of W is on campus
Not true either for Cal

I’ve been on USC’s campus. That stadium is within a block or two of several big dorms, as I recall. Very easy walk. It might as well be an on campus venue.

And thats the point right there, how easy is it for students to get to the stadium and create an environment.

That’s one reason Miami (FL)'s stadium is always empty, the students have to take a 30min bus ride to the stadium.

Quite a few people have expressed something similar to your view. And I agree. I like our conference and most of the teams in it.

But the money in the AAC has to go up somehow if we want to maintain any sort of competitive adjacency with the P5.

1 Like

Didn’t care for AAC at first but it’s grown on me. Still hope the P5 $$$ ship comes in but got to be aggressive and proactive instead of waiting on the Grey smoke. Add 1 or add 3 to balance it out, split into divisions and build the brand

6 Likes

Given our facilities, the history of the program, our location in the nation’s fourth-largest city, and our current basketball success–Cougar FB should always be in the top three of the conference. We have to turn it around beginning this fall.

4 Likes

My argument with the AAC is the monopoly the P5 schools have on the bowls. We could be 13-0, lose out on a NY6 bowl and get stuck with one of our bowls. Meanwhile some SEC school can play 4 patsies OOC, go 2-6 in conference and get a better/higher paying bowl.

2 Likes

All true, but what can, say you and I do. I already try to not watch any P5 and try to watch as much AAC football/sports I can. This is the hand we were dealt, we have to play it. I’m not saying the admin shouldn’t do anything but as fans we can stop bitching about the AAC. It is what it is.

2 Likes

I guarantee you no 6-6 SEC team would get a better bowl than a 13-0 AC champ.

Well Tex, they have the bowls tied up with contracts.